PDA

View Full Version : Cherry frame pic.

Tom Pritchard
04-03-2005, 1:18 PM
Here's a pic of a cherry frame that my son and I finished this weekend. I have been promising the LOML this frame for a long time! It isn't nearly as nice as most of the pieces that are shown here, but hey, it's a start!

Doug Cowan
04-03-2005, 3:19 PM
It looks very nice, the miters look perfect and the finish looks good. Nicely done. Having two teenagers, the most impressive part to me is that you managed to get your family togather, in one place, long enough to get the picture done. That is impressive.

Tom Pritchard
04-03-2005, 3:47 PM
It looks very nice, the miters look perfect and the finish looks good. Nicely done. Having two teenagers, the most impressive part to me is that you managed to get your family togather, in one place, long enough to get the picture done. That is impressive.

Thanks for the kind comments Doug, I appreciate it! It was actually my 25 Year Kodak anniversary picture, and the boys were glad to be a part of the portrait (as well as my wife!). You're right, hard to get everyone together these days!

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 4:35 PM
It's a start?!! Tom, that look extremely nice. Those miters look perfect from here :) Nice work Tom!

Corey

Jim Becker
04-03-2005, 5:02 PM
I think it looks great, Tom. It frames the important information beautifully!

scott spencer
04-03-2005, 5:22 PM
Hey Tom! The frame and the family look great! Did you cut those cherry miters on your new TS or on your CMS?

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 6:34 PM
Tom how did you cut the rabbet on the back? Use a router table or the table saw?

Corey

Tom Pritchard
04-03-2005, 9:36 PM
Tom how did you cut the rabbet on the back? Use a router table or the table saw?

Corey

Hi Corey. I used a Whiteside rabbet bit on my router table. I needed to keep the rabbet very thin so as not to hide much of the picture. My wife's hand at the bottom of the frame was almost at the edge of the picture, so the rabbet is only 3/16" wide.

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Tom, I was just curious what is the easiest to do. Never done a frame before. I take it you rabbet the stock before mitering and assembly or do you wait until after glue up or joining it and then run it around the router table?

Corey

Norman Hitt
04-04-2005, 6:09 AM
Hi Corey. I used a Whiteside rabbet bit on my router table. I needed to keep the rabbet very thin so as not to hide much of the picture. My wife's hand at the bottom of the frame was almost at the edge of the picture, so the rabbet is only 3/16" wide.

Tom, it looks very nice. One method to take care of pictures that have items of interest too close to the edges of the picture, is to make the frame larger and use matting to surround the picture. This will give a border between the picture and the frame, and this would allow you to use a wider rabbet in the frame without cutting off items close to the edge of the picture. Unfortunately though, it has been my experience that unless you have the matting tools/cutters, it is harder to make a nice looking matt, than to build the frame itself :D :D .

Keith Outten
04-04-2005, 7:39 AM
Tom,

Nice job on the frame, the cherry should be even more beautiful with time.

I visited the Kodak Marketing Education Center several times in the early 1980's and it is an impressive facility. I attended the Industrial Radiographers seminars and Film Interpretation for Radiographers. Kodak has a world class facility and an impressive staff. In those days they had an audio/video demonstration called "We Are Kodak" that is the most awesome presentation I have ever seen, I hope that Kodak is still showing it to their current customers who visit the facility.

Tom Pritchard
04-04-2005, 9:59 AM
Keith, thanks for the reply! The Kodak Marketing Education Center that you saw has been sold off as part of the Kodak footprint reduction project. As digital reshapes Kodak, we have been looking at ways to reduce cost so as to stay competitive. We have revamped and improved the "We Are Kodak" presentation, and we are still showing it to customers who visit Kodak Park today. As I write this we have a group of Dutch photographers touring our facility, and they saw the presentation earlier this morning! Thanks for remembering your experience and sharing it with us, it's nice to hear that we made a good impression on a customer.

John Harris
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I think Norman hit a home run with his matting suggestion. Matting a picture like the one being discussed would take about 30 minutes and cost $15 more. But it separates the artist from the picture hanger. In our world, it is the equivalent of making a beautiful piece of furniture, but not putting a finish on it.

There are many styles of matting cutters that you can buy. The cheapest is an exacto knife that fits into a little jig that keeps the knife on a 45; $5-8. The high end would be a little table top with a runner to slide the knife along; $125. And of course, many in between. I know the brilliant minds here could figure out how to make all of these simple devices out of shop scraps.

Tom, if you are going to continue to make beautiful frames, expermient with the matting. It will only take you one try with a single matte and you will progress to double matting like the pros use.

You'll be amazed how you can take any artwork or picture and make the colors explode with great matting choices and your awesome framing skills!

Tom Pritchard
04-04-2005, 3:53 PM
John, thanks for the great reply and advice! This particular picture is printed on an artist's type canvas, and is stretched across a 3/4" pine frame. As such, I was really at a loss for how to matte it. The pine frame of the picture fell nicely into my rabbetted grove, and then I stretched material across the back of the frame to hold it in place.

I think Norman hit a home run with his matting suggestion. Matting a picture like the one being discussed would take about 30 minutes and cost $15 more. But it separates the artist from the picture hanger. In our world, it is the equivalent of making a beautiful piece of furniture, but not putting a finish on it.

There are many styles of matting cutters that you can buy. The cheapest is an exacto knife that fits into a little jig that keeps the knife on a 45; $5-8. The high end would be a little table top with a runner to slide the knife along; $125. And of course, many in between. I know the brilliant minds here could figure out how to make all of these simple devices out of shop scraps.

Tom, if you are going to continue to make beautiful frames, expermient with the matting. It will only take you one try with a single matte and you will progress to double matting like the pros use.

You'll be amazed how you can take any artwork or picture and make the colors explode with great matting choices and your awesome framing skills!