PDA

View Full Version : Adding molding to a wall hung tool cabinet?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
In the process of working out a wall-hung tool cabinet. Since there's not a real divide between my shop and my home, I've been trying to make my shop things (like my bench) look presentable in a "home" context. I'm thinking some largish molding, maybe a big cove crown molding type thing, top and bottom might make the wall-hung tool cabinet look a little nicer. I'm curious as to how folks would go about adding something like that to this type of cabinet, since the doors are apt to be several inches deep to maximize storage. Leaving the molding at the same depth as the carcase of the cabinet would look a little funny. My natural inclination is to attach another board or a frame-and-panel type construction over the top of the dovetailed carcase, extending out to the same depth or a little shallower as the protrusion of the doors, and attach the molding to the edge of that, with glue blocks in the corners as/if needed, so that the bottom of the molding lines up flush with the outside of the doors. Is that the best way to go about it? I've honestly never done much if any work with molding outside of housing stuff.

Sam Murdoch
06-03-2012, 11:37 AM
This one requires a photo or two if you can.

glenn bradley
06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I would modify the complete clam-shell format I believe you are talking about and have (at least) an upper lip to carry the molding.

Bob Jones
06-04-2012, 12:25 AM
somewhat related question - how do you intend to keep the doors closed (hardware, wise)? I am building a similar tool cabinet right now and I am considering my options for a lock/latch. thanks