PDA

View Full Version : lacquer

bill walton
06-03-2012, 8:46 AM
I have a couple pieces for a current project that call for an ivory lacquer finish. The customer has provided a color chip. Does anyone know of a business on the east coast of Florida that can apply lacquer. I am near Titusville.

thanks

Carroll Courtney
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
If you can't find a finisher which I'm sure Florida has one(Yellow Pages),you may call around and find an automotive finisher that can match the chip.good luck---Carroll

Larry Edgerton
06-03-2012, 5:17 PM
Lacquer is quite easy to spray if you end up doing it yourself. I use Magnalac and they tint it for me at the local paint supply to what I need. If you end up having to do that we can give you a few pointers.

Twice I have taken jobs to auto places for finish spraying, and twice I have been disappointed enough that I redid it myself. These were the best shops in the area. I just don't think car guys get it. They do not take furniture seriously.

Oh! And if you do take it to a bodyshop, DO NOT LET THEM USE THE BAKE CYCLE!

Don't ask.

Larry

Ken Ketcham
06-04-2012, 7:09 AM
I have used Target Coatings water based EM6500 lacquer, tinted with Mixol #5 Oxide Yellow, to provide an ivory finish. EM6500 has a semi-gloss sheen. For a gloss sheen, it can be top coated with EM7000 clear lacquer. These water based finishes are very easy to apply and cleanup is a snap -- I use an Fuji HVLP sprayer. If I can make a lacquer finish look professionally done, anyone can.

Ken

bill walton
06-04-2012, 11:52 AM
thanks all. I also use Target Coating products almost exclusively applied with both a Fuji hvlp and an hvlp conversion gun. I'm just running up against a delivery date and am looking to farm a couple tasks out.

Jim Becker
06-05-2012, 9:51 AM
Lacquer is quite easy to spray if you end up doing it yourself.

Easy to spray, for sure...but without a properly ventilated environment and personal safety equipment, it can be dangerous to use in a home-shop environment, both to the home and to the creatures (including people) within it. There are a variety of safer to use, but equally easy, products available today. They still require care, but don't have the explosive and significant health risks that traditional solvent-based lacquers bring with them.

----
Bill, Target Coatings EM6500 is a white water borne acrylic "lacquer" that can be easily tinted to match the shade you desire. I believe some other manufacturers, such as Fuhr, have similar tint friendly products. If you do need to subcontract this, contact local cabinet shops who may be able to do the finish for you or refer you to who they might use if they farm work out, too.