PDA

View Full Version : Elm vase

Dennis Ford
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
This vase is 6" diameter and 8-1/2" tall. I decided to leave the knot-hole open but am not sure about that decision. Finish is wipe on poly. Comments and critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
06-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Nice form and a very pretty color Dennis. I like the raised section as well. Reminds me of the perfect lid. I am fine with the knot hole. Anything else would look like a patch.

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I agree with Baxter - keep the knot natural. Overall - very nice looking vase! I'm not sure if I like the raised area at the shoulder or not as it breaks the flow of the curve. I'll get over it...

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-03-2012, 3:15 AM
Lovely hollow form, Dennis. If the knot were not there as a feature, I would suggest the "shawl" you left a the top is a perfect canvas for you to carve lines from the shawl edge to the throat. Elm seems to be an undervalued turning medium. It really has attractive looking grain. Is this piece colored or is it just oiled? I roughed out several pieces of elm recently. They are losing their dark brown as they dry. I hope they finish half as nicely as your urn.
faust

Michelle Rich
06-03-2012, 6:16 AM
pretty wood..the like the shoulder line..

Allen stagg
06-03-2012, 8:17 AM
Personally, The knot adds character and patching it, would take away from the beauty. love it!

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 9:47 AM
Really a nice piece. I do like the shoulder line and wouldn't do a thing with the knot. It just gives it character.

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Dennis, the elm looks great! I was fortunate to just acquire a truckload of elm that has been conveniently blocked up for me, and this makes me excited at the possibilities. Hope mine has the color and character of yours.

Roger Chandler
06-03-2012, 2:33 PM
I like the form and the knot is fine...........the raised area would look better if it were more near to the top opening instead of as low on the shoulder as you have it..............nice work!

Roland Martin
06-03-2012, 4:06 PM
A very nice form for a great chunk of elm, nice work. I think leaving the knot as is was a good decision, too large to patch it well.