PDA

View Full Version : Oak burl HF

Dennis Ford
06-02-2012, 11:06 PM
I had a "design opportunity" while turning this; after shaping the upper outside, I drilled into the form and found a large void. There was just enough wood to have part of a bottom. At least I avoided a funnel (this wood has too many holes to be good for a funnel anyway). After adjusting my plans for the form, the result is better than the original idea (although quite a bit smaller). I am looking for feedback on the pryo work near the top. 9" dia x 6" tall
Comments and critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
06-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I like the hole in top a whole lot better than the one in the bottom Dennis. The form and wood is beautiful and the pyro work is a very nice contrast as well as a very nice design. Perhaps you could have cut a groove to better define the edge of the pryo, but I like the slightly less than perfect border and it matches the triangles this way. It has the look of a very nice handcrafted piece of art!

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2012, 12:23 AM
I like it! I really like the form and all the voids! Great job on keeping this one on the lathe! Pyro work is pretty cool looking! At first I wondered why you would want to burn a burl with all it already had going for it but the design works well and the burned area fits right in with the natural coloring! I think you did really good on this!!

Michelle Rich
06-03-2012, 6:18 AM
I like the addition of the pyro work

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 9:48 AM
Great looking piece. I do like the pyro. It goes along with the color and voids.

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Great piece of wood, Dennis! I think the pyro work is just enough to add to the already great character of this piece. Nice form, too!

Jim Burr
06-03-2012, 4:12 PM
Heck of a foot Dennis...and I thought I was having a bad day!!! My only suggestion would be to burn/dye the lip of the opening, the bare ring inside the spikes feels distracting. Other than that...you done really good!

Roland Martin
06-03-2012, 4:14 PM
That's a great looking burl, Dennis and the form is great. The pyro work seems to fit this piece well, nice job. I'm wondering how a second burned ring at the opening would have looked, just thinking out loud.