PDA

View Full Version : DW618 w/o magnet ring - router still usable?

daniel lane
06-02-2012, 9:57 PM
Hi, all -

Looks like my DW618 router has suffered the dreaded yet common magnet ring failure. It broke while I was using it in a table, quite exciting to get the "crack-whiirrRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!" sound. At first it seemed runaway, but I've read that it's just the speed control that's failed. Thing is, I was using it on max speed, since I was spinning a 1/4" roundover bit, and it still sped up. Anyway, I really wanted to finish this project this weekend, anyone know that it definitely is still usable with such a small diameter bit? I'm planning on replacing it, I just want to know if I can still finish this project (~50ft of rounding over edging).

Thanks,

daniel

Mike Heidrick
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes you can. It will run at full speed.

I assume you mean you will replace the magnet correct. If you want to split the cost of shipping Ill order a couple replacements too with you if you order them. Let me know. I think we need a woodnet group buy on them :)

daniel lane
06-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'll probably go ahead and try to finish up the work, since the bit is buried in a fence and I've got a safety cover over everything - if for some reason it fails, the damage should be contained. I'm still mildly concerned since it sped up with the failure and I was already using it on max speed, but since it's such a small diameter and low-load bit (I'm not trying to cut much away), I think it's worth trying to get this done.

When I wrote the post, I actually meant I'm going to replace the router, but that's a side issue - I'm planning on putting a PC7518 in my router lift (I've been using the Dewalt with an adapter). Since I was planning on the PC anyway, I was going to replace the Dewalt and then decide what to do about it. I'm game to try to fix it, but I don't have a gear/bearing puller and that just adds to the cost versus just taking it to a repair shop. I do like the thing, but I have to admit that I'm kinda loathe to repair something that apparently is notorious for breakage. Still, if it's an easy fix, I can just plan on doing it once every few months! I'm going to sleep on it and if I decide to go that route (no pun intended) in the near future, I'll post in the classifieds for a group buy kind of thing.

daniel

Mike Heidrick
06-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Toss the motor my way if it gets pitched. Ill add it to the needs fixed pile LOL.

Lack of load with no magnetic disc made it run faster - even at full speed it had some load from the disc.

daniel lane
06-03-2012, 5:18 PM
That makes sense, Mike (the lack of load). I can report that I successfully rounded over 54 feet of edging and cut two 36" long 1/8" wide slots without any problems. I'm sure everybody else knew it wouldn't be a problem, but I figured if someone else comes along with my question in a while, a search will let them know it works fine.

Also, since I could use the Dewalt for the work I was doing today, I ordered the PC via Amazon for ~$80 less than it would have cost me locally. With that savings, I decided that I'll just take the Dewalt to a shop and see if I can get it fixed for less than $80. If so, I figure I'm ahead in the long run - I'll have 2 working routers instead of just one (had I bought the PC this morning to finish the job) and my precious shop time can be spent woodworking, instead of trying to fix a router. :cool:

daniel