PDA

View Full Version : Replacement tote?

Greg Urwiller
06-02-2012, 8:49 PM
I know....I should make my own and I'll probably do it anyway, but is there a good place to buy a replacement tote? I picked up a Stanley Bailey #7 last week at an antique store and the top 3/8" of the tote is broken off. Other than a decent sharpening job, don't really have to do anything to this one. Nice shape! Were most of them made from rosewood? What kind of finish? Thanks. Greg

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-02-2012, 9:19 PM
I have a set of Bill Rittner's (http://www.HardwareCityTools.com/) totes on my Millers Falls jointer. I love 'em, some of the most comfortable handles I've had, and have held up well and meant I got back to working on things rather than shaping handles.

That said, if most of the handle is there, it might be fairly easy to add new wood and repair the handle you've got.

Chris Griggs
06-02-2012, 9:43 PM
I've been planning on getting one of those for my LV LA Jack. The walnut will looks really nice and the seems like it will be significantly more comfortable. Glad to hear you like yours Josh!

Sean Richards
06-02-2012, 9:44 PM
http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/

Jim Koepke
06-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I picked up a Stanley Bailey #7 last week at an antique store and the top 3/8" of the tote is broken off.

This sounds like an easy repair.

Were most of them made from rosewood?

Before WWII yes, they were made of rosewood. Later some were, some weren't.

jtk

Brian Kerley
06-03-2012, 9:40 AM
Go the fleabay route. Picked up a replacement tote a few weeks ago for an #8 and it set me back about <$15 shipped

Sam Takeuchi
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/

I totally recommend this.

ken seale
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
This guy does nice work too. He has been selling them for years.

Look up ebay auction

steven c newman
06-03-2012, 1:20 PM
Sometimes it is just as much fun to make your own, afterall you can size the new tote to match your hand. "Uncle Arthur' has made some of my fingers a mess, can't grip an Estwing so it will stay in my hands ( "Heads up! Sorry about that"..) So when i get a chance to make my own....233540 I will either fire up the lathe, with some Black Walnut, or Give the Bandsaw a little work233541 and sand and shape them to fit me. A finish of my choice233543and back to work they go. New handles are on the plane in front. That Bailey #8c was next for some handles...233544 My hands like a little larger tote than the "stock' totes. Fits my hands just right...

Kenneth Speed
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Another vote for Bill's totes. I first put them on my LV bevel up jack and it was like replacing a four cylinder with a nicely tuned V8. I like the plane before but putting Bill's tote and knob changed the tool into something that was a true pleasure to use. I've replaced the totes on my No 7 too and it made a huge difference as well. Bill's totes are thicker, he makes them from 5/4 stock rather than 4/4 and the thickness makes a tremendous difference.

Ken