PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic teaser ad

Jon Nuckles
06-02-2012, 7:54 PM
Just received my Fine Woodworking and saw Powermatic's ad on the inside back cover. It shows what appears to be a lathe bed with the Powermatic logo. The ad copy reads "something big is coming June 2012". Anyone know what it is? I have heard rumors that the 4224 is going to be remade with a sliding headstock. I wonder if that is it.

Very cool turnings by Liam Flynn on the back cover as well with interesting carving.

phil harold
06-02-2012, 8:45 PM
well there is a count down clock
http://www.powermatic.com/

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-03-2012, 3:44 AM
The timing looks like it will coincide with the AAW symposium. I'm sure we will get a report from our CA bound contingency.

Russell Eaton
06-03-2012, 7:47 AM
I have heard it will have a built in vacuum generator in the headstock. It will be interesting to find out for sure.

Reed Gray
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes, the new model will have a sliding headstock. Can't remember the guys name, but he did a demo and workshop in Salem and told us about it a couple of months ago. They made a number of changes to it, all according to what the turner said they needed to do. They still have a minimum speed of 50 rpm though.

robo hippy

Bill Wyko
06-03-2012, 3:38 PM
Yes, sliding HS, heavier than my PM4224, 3hp or more, something special about the tail stock possible. As far as 50rpm goes, I have no idea why I'd need to go any slower. Mine runs so smooth at 50rpms. (or 3500rpms for that matter) Some may be concerned about it not being made in the USA but something to consider, PM directly employ's over 200 people in the USA Not to mention the support network they provide nationally. They definitely support & contribute to our country every bit as much, if not more, than any lathe mfg. These mustard monsters are incredible machines. I absolutely love my 4224 so far. There truly is a huge difference between the smaller lathes I've turned on in the past. Can't wait to see the new level they have achieved.

Dick Strauss
06-03-2012, 4:38 PM
Bill,
Maybe they brought back the old offset/taper screw built into the TS like the old lathes used to have and a swing-away TS/extension...?

Joe Kieve
06-03-2012, 4:40 PM
Maybe they're merging with Delta....gonna call it a DeltaMatic. Ha!

Joe

Reed Gray
06-03-2012, 6:59 PM
For sanding warped bowls, you need speeds of around 15 to 20 rpm max. Otherwise you can not keep the abrasives on the wood. The old 3520A had that option. Some use it for applying finishes that they don't want drip or run marks in, or other types of finishes. Other than that, there really is no practical use for it, but I would have a much harder time sanding my warped bowls without it.

robo hippy

Bill Wyko
06-03-2012, 8:52 PM
I can see where that would help. I"ll know next week I guess. When I got mine, they did ask me about what features I would like to see in a big lathe. Nice to know they are paying attention to us turners.