PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted & Dyed Ash HF

Baxter Smith
06-02-2012, 6:18 PM
This is the first of the Ash I brought back from Maine earlier this spring. Turned thin and allowed to dry. Sandblasted, dyed with blue transtint, followed by liming wax and acrylic lacquer.
6h x 4.25w

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Pete Jordan
06-02-2012, 6:34 PM
Very special Baxter! Love the dye job.

Jon Nuckles
06-02-2012, 6:52 PM
Really like the color and the effect of the sandblasting and wax along with it. Nice form, too!

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2012, 6:56 PM
Really like the intense color! Nice form and the liming wax really does a great job on highlighting the grain! Very nice work Baxter!!

Hayes Rutherford
06-02-2012, 7:33 PM
Pretty sweet!!

mike ash
06-02-2012, 7:38 PM
Very. very nice Baxter!!

charlie knighton
06-02-2012, 7:38 PM
well done, Baxter

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2012, 7:43 PM
Well now, this is nice! It's a "spot on" form, very reminiscent of Andy DiPietro's hollow forms. The striking, almost opaque blue color is excellent. I particularly like the near perfect centering (in both dimentions) of the smallest annual ring. Same for the rings that are broken by the lip. They are almost perfectly centered on the rim. If you planned it this way, you nailed it. If not, you lucked out. But either way that is the feature that really makes this piece work.

Jim Burr
06-02-2012, 7:53 PM
Transtint...WoW!!!!! That is intense color! Form is on the money. Great orientation, but I have some questions on the liming wax...gonna have to have a lash at it. Please...more details about the dye and process!

kevin nee
06-02-2012, 8:17 PM
I have always said ASH is under-rated. Very nice.

John Keeton
06-02-2012, 8:41 PM
Baxter, this is a showpiece!!! Very well done - color, form, finish - the triple crown winner!

Jamie Donaldson
06-02-2012, 8:56 PM
That's as close to an example of a perfect turning as could be imagined!

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-02-2012, 9:02 PM
Great form Baxter.

Dennis Ford
06-02-2012, 9:13 PM
Great job, +1 on above compliments; it really is that good.

Roger Chandler
06-02-2012, 9:36 PM
Superb! That is a beauty, Baxter. You really nailed the form.........DD said what I was thinking when I saw the pic........reminded me of Andy DiPietro's hollow forms. I also agree with JK.........the color and the liming wax plus the grain orientation do make this one gallery quality............this one has some real WOW factor to it...........you should post it there and no telling...........might make the cover!

Rick Markham
06-02-2012, 9:48 PM
This is fantastic Baxter, the form is perfect and the blue is spot on. You definitely nailed every aspect of this one!

Alan Trout
06-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Baxter,

I love the color, form, and the liming wax really sets it off.

Very nice.

Alan

Tim Rinehart
06-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Superb job! Love the denim color and the liming works to make even more denim like. As said, perfect form!

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Baxter that is just beautiful. The color is outstanding and the form is great.

Baxter Smith
06-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your positive thoughts. They are far too generous...but appreciated none the less!

Jim, the form was first wiped with some denatured alcohol in an attempt to minimize lap marks then the transtint dissolved in DNA was applied with a foam brush. After drying, liming wax was liberally wiped over the form and worked into the pores. It was then wiped off. Several light coats of spray lacquer are then applied.

Sid Matheny
06-03-2012, 12:12 AM
I like it and would love to see some other views of it.

Sid

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-03-2012, 3:27 AM
Bax,
It's 3:15 in the morning and I couldn't sleep so I stopped by for a visit. WOW!!! I'm fully awake now. That's a powerful blue. Even with the liming wax the color still jumps out there and grabs your attention. It also forces me to look at the overall shape of the urn. It is beautifully shaped and well executed. We're all seeing so much of this shape, probably because it is kind of classic. Everyone has made comments on each others efforts at producing this shape until we have all refined it to fit the "SMC rules of urn style": Broad shoulders about 2/3 of the height, constant curve from shoulder to base which is tucked in slightly for lift. It is such a classic it is difficult for someone to stamp it with his own style. You have found a way with wood choice, blasting and color and the result is another Baxter beauty. Thanks for showing it to us.
faust

Michelle Rich
06-03-2012, 6:13 AM
wow baxter..this is really stunning. the color awesome & eye grabbing..this simple form rocks

Doug Herzberg
06-03-2012, 8:01 AM
I like it, Baxter. What DD said. Very nice.

phil harold
06-03-2012, 8:57 AM
Fine piece of ash!

Love the form, grain, and color

Be nice to have a set of them in a rainbow of colours!

Roland Martin
06-03-2012, 9:20 AM
Not much more to add to what has already been said, but this is a trully well done form in every aspect. I didn't see you in Andy's demo class in NH recently, but am assuming you were there. You're a very quick study Baxter :eek:.

Harvey Ghesser
06-03-2012, 9:21 PM
Without a doubt, my favorite Baxter Smith piece! absolutely gorgeous....

Scott Hackler
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Great piece Baxter. The form is sopt on and the highlighting of the grain with the wax looks fantastic. I must say that you have really "stepped it up" in the last few months. Great great piece.

Deane Allinson
06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Really nice piece. Great form !!!!
Deane

Baxter Smith
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks again for your thoughts!

I like it and would love to see some other views of it.

Sid
Sid, I kept going back and forth between pictures deleting the ones I liked least until I suddenly found myself with only two left and with this one the color balance is off. If I don't run out of gas I have another blue form I could post tonight.

.... I didn't see you in Andy's demo class in NH recently, but am assuming you were there...
I missed that demo Roland since I chose to see Mike Foster on minimal surfaces. I have seen a couple of Andy's demo's though and did try some sandblasted and dyed forms last fall. Those were all red oak so this was my first attempt with Ash.

Kathy Marshall
06-04-2012, 2:05 AM
Baxter that is a beauty! As everyone else said, the form is great, but the dye is fantastic! I love the color and the effect of the liming wax.