PDA

View Full Version : Beaded Lidded Boxes with a sunburst effect - sort of.

Ed Morgano
06-02-2012, 3:30 PM
Three little beaded boxes. I tried a sunburst type effect that was shown in the video from fine woodworking posted by Hayes Rutherford last week....great video: http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30182. Anyway, these are definitely not the same, but it was an interesting experiment. I plan on doing more of this type of blending effect on solid forms. C&C always welcome. Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
06-02-2012, 4:43 PM
Ed, I like the form of the one on the left - very neat! The others are well done, too, but I don't care for the sunburst/fade on the beaded pieces. Seems to lose a lot in that sort of application.

Jim Burr
06-02-2012, 5:16 PM
Couple really stand out Ed...the third one...ehhh...not a favorite. The form and coloration on the first one is cool...it really stands out. I like the second one, a little more taper on the edge of the lid would help maintain the shape in a consistant curve. I like the fact you left the lid smooth...lot's of figure there! All around good job!

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2012, 6:14 PM
Well... everyone likes something. And someone doesn't like anything. What I like is the forms on these. But I have to agree with John in that the coloring does not work too well with these beaded forms. My favorite as far as form goes is the cylindrical one which would be a very nice box but for the somewhat garish coloring. Without that, it would a very simple, understated box that would be very appealing. The red one is the most sucessful in terms of marrying the form and the coloring. The large knob on the middle one along with the break in the visual flow from base to top (as Jim mentioned) is also a bit of a spoiler. You could probably "tweak" that a bit and end up with a real winner.

Ed Morgano
06-02-2012, 7:40 PM
Thanks guys for your critiques. I totally agree that the beading and layered coloring don't really go well together. These were practice with the beading tool and an experiment with the coloring. But I will use what I learned + your comments on the next ones which I hope will be a lot better. Thanks again.

Hayes Rutherford
06-02-2012, 7:59 PM
Ed, I agree with J.K., tough to get a sunburst effect on a fully beaded form but a solid form would be another story. I might be tempted to apply solid color to these and then remove a little color on the high spots with steel wool, sand paper, or buffing, to make them look worn. Otherwise I like the boxes, they look like they might have been in the family for years and had some special purpose.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2012, 9:29 PM
Ed - looks like you have the beading part down real good! I like Hayes idea of removing some color on the high parts of the beads - it would give them an aged/well used look! I like the forms!

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Nice looking boxes. I do like your experiment. I agree with Steve that maybe sanding it down some to give it a hint of color.

Baxter Smith
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Neat idea Ed. I like how the beads seem to make the joints vanish!

Michelle Rich
06-03-2012, 6:23 AM
look forward to your experimentation with color...

Jamie Donaldson
06-03-2012, 7:15 PM
I think the color shading works just fine with the beads Ed, and gives options for shapes that would otherwise be rather plain without the color to perk them up!