PDA

View Full Version : Burr Puzzle

Tom Blank
06-01-2012, 9:32 PM
Somewhere during my internet travels today I saw a 6-piece burr puzzle made from steel rod. The puzzle was shown disassembled (a key point), the pieces had somewhere between none and three transverse semicircular notches cut out to allow assembly/disassembly. I was thinking that would be pretty simple to do using dowel rod in a jig and a forstner bit.

Now I can't find the site and can't remember where all the notches go. Anyone else seen it? Lee Valley has a picture of the assembled puzzle in their Gifts section.

Thanks,

Tom

Jamie Buxton
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
There's a pic of it disassembled in the June print flier.

Tom Blank
06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Thank you Jamie. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Van Huskey
06-02-2012, 2:00 AM
Somewhere during my internet travels today

Check your browser history, the answer you seek is there...

My mind is also a terrible thing period since you already had your answer... :confused:

Jeff Bartley
06-02-2012, 8:06 AM
Tom--there's a website that lets you design your own burr puzzles....it's somewhere on the ibm dot com website I think. It was recommended to me but I haven't had a chance to check it out. Hope that helps!

Jeff Bartley
06-02-2012, 8:25 AM
search 'ibm burr puzzle'. the first listing is the site, interesting stuff, plus you can make them out of scrape wood!

Steve Mellott
06-05-2012, 3:58 PM
Tom:

The puzzle you are describing is called a "Cornish Knot Puzzle." You can find plans to build the puzzle in the December, 1996 issue of American Woodworker magazine. The magazine article shows you how to make the puzzle with a homemade jig and a drill press. I made several of these about 10 years ago, and I think I used a router sled instead of a drill press.

Steve

Tom Blank
06-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks Steve. Jamie got me pointed back at the original pix I saw. The AW article is very helpful on how to make a jig.

Ton