PDA

View Full Version : Will the Shop Fox W1812 moulder do T&G ?

dirk martin
06-01-2012, 9:19 PM
My brother is considering buying a W1812, to create some moulding. He needs to run some flooring, too.

Will the Shop Fox W1812 moulder do edge profiles, for flooring?
Second question, can the W1812 be used to make dowels? Anyone ever do that with this moulder?

Or, has anyone given the Magic Moulder a shot at flooring, with a stock feeder, on their table saw? I'd think a setup like that, would really fly. Flooring Pattern (http://magicmolder.com/catalog/info-n-73-ab-detail-plugs-magic-molder-lrh.html)

A shaper is not an option for him.

johnny means
06-01-2012, 9:35 PM
Moulders don't really do edge profiles.

Leo Graywacz
06-01-2012, 9:55 PM
You can do the profile and the top part of the tongue. You will need to complete the bottom part of the tongue with a dado, router or saw...whatever works for you.

dirk martin
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Such as the Magic Moulder?

Van Huskey
06-02-2012, 2:40 AM
I would NOT want to do T&G on edge, if the correct tool is out (shaper) I would use a router table before trying to do it on end.

dirk martin
06-02-2012, 4:43 AM
What makes you say that, Van?
You'd rather use a router table, and free hand it, than use a stock feeder on a table saw with a Magic Moulder setup? Really?

Peter Quinn
06-02-2012, 6:16 AM
You can run t&g on that molder with the proper guides, but it would not be my first choice either. Check out the Hussey site literature for an example of the set up. You do run standing on edge. You are limited to a certain width by design, much over 4" would get really.weird. Why can't your bil use your shaper?

Id take the magic molder w/power feed over the router table, with a stiff tall fence jig it's surely possible, I've done similar. But shaper beats them all. Do you have a magic molder you've been dying to use?

Van Huskey
06-02-2012, 1:50 PM
What makes you say that, Van?
You'd rather use a router table, and free hand it, than use a stock feeder on a table saw with a Magic Moulder setup? Really?

OK I was being a bit if not a lot hyperbolic but I just see it as a simple shaper job and a PITA run edge down. I have a Magic Moulder and a dozen or so profiles and it works great for moulding on face mouldings but I just wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of edge profiling with it.

Jeff Duncan
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
How wide are the moldings he's doing? A shaper does a very nice job of moldings too you know. Though once you start getting into the wider pieces running them through a moulder is easier. If he's doing a lot of molding 4" or less than maybe he'd be better off buying a shaper instead of the molder? Of course this is coming from someone with 3 shapers and no moulder so????

I have a magic moulder and have to admit I've never used it. If you made a tall fence to attach to the table saw fence, then clamped the fences down securely to the table saws top, then flipped your power feeder to feed flat against the fence it should work OK. Of course if you have to use the table saw in the midst of the project your SOL, but that's a different story. Don't know about making dowels though....can't picture making them with a molder but....?

JeffD

dirk martin
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
He's gonna be doing a bunch of 3.5" mouldings, and 4.5" mouldings.

From those he's talked to, that have a Magic Moulder, they all seem very pleased. And, since it has a limited width that it can cut, in one pass, it just seemed to me that flooring would be perfect for it. He has a bandsaw stock feeder, so it presses sideways, rather than down...again, perfect for the MM. People say they're rather quiet, and don't complain about chatter. I just can't figure out why more don't use the MM for flooring.

He'll build a 6" tall fence, mount his stock feeder (it's a large 12" tablesaw), and I'd think he'd be sailing, edging that flooring in no time. He's half way across the country, or he'd use some of my hardware.