PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Doesn't Like When I Park Like This...

Jim Koepke
06-01-2012, 3:34 PM
Especially if she is the one who has to get out of the space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BGkOKVMUU&feature=player_embedded

jtk

Bruce Page
06-01-2012, 3:48 PM
Gettin' out is the hard part.

Kevin Bourque
06-01-2012, 4:18 PM
I'd like to see them try that with a Ford F-250

Jim Rimmer
06-01-2012, 5:18 PM

Someone probably will (if they haven't already.). :D

ray hampton
06-01-2012, 5:40 PM

you can try "that with any vehicle even a semi but if you are not equipped with electric steering , forget it unless the street are cover with black ice

Rich Engelhardt
06-02-2012, 7:16 AM
Three words....
four wheel low

:D

Kevin W Johnson
06-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah, but how many attempts prior to that clip that resulted in collision?

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 1:16 AM
you can try "that with any vehicle even a semi but if you are not equipped with electric steering , forget it unless the street are cover with black ice

What do you mean about electric steering? The Mini Cooper has a standard rack and pinion steering, it is power assisted and has the unusual arrangement of using a electric pump for the PS not a mechanical one but it is a non-issue. Although I need a space about 4 feet longer than my car to be safe, I can e-brake park my car like that with no problem and I don't need ice involved, well OK I may not be able to do it now, it has been 10 years since I spent any amount of time on the track or drifting but the point is it can easily be done without any electric steering, 100s of youtube videos to prove it.

John Coloccia
06-03-2012, 6:11 AM
I've found that the parking brake in a lot of newer cars won't lock the rear tires anymore. Don't really know why.

Mike Cutler
06-03-2012, 7:04 AM
I'll have to show that to my wife. Give her something to shoot for with her Mini.:p

Good to know that the R113's on that Mini Cooper can handle that side load.

John
Newer cars, including that Mini Cooper, have a parking brake that turns the rear caliper piston in. If you really want to set the brake hard you have to pull up significantly on the brake handle, or pump the handle and bring it to the top. I can't speak for other cars, but you can lock a Mini's rear wheels right up.

Kevin W Johnson
06-03-2012, 1:20 PM
What do you mean about electric steering? The Mini Cooper has a standard rack and pinion steering, it is power assisted and has the unusual arrangement of using a electric pump for the PS not a mechanical one but it is a non-issue. Although I need a space about 4 feet longer than my car to be safe, I can e-brake park my car like that with no problem and I don't need ice involved, well OK I may not be able to do it now, it has been 10 years since I spent any amount of time on the track or drifting but the point is it can easily be done without any electric steering, 100s of youtube videos to prove it.

Thanks, I was afraid to ask.... :eek:

ray hampton
06-03-2012, 1:55 PM
Thanks, I was afraid to ask.... :eek:

electric steering are use only on small cars [as far as I known] driving side-way is a piece of cake if the car are front-wheel-drive car compare to the rear wheel drive, DO SOME cars employ rear wheel steering ?

Kevin W Johnson
06-03-2012, 4:57 PM
electric steering are use only on small cars [as far as I known] driving side-way is a piece of cake if the car are front-wheel-drive car compare to the rear wheel drive, DO SOME cars employ rear wheel steering ?

GM produced some trucks with four-wheel steering, but I know of none with just rear-wheel steering.

Jim Matthews
06-03-2012, 5:40 PM
If they spent half this much time teaching each year's crop of a hundred thousand new Chinese drivers (https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/world/asia/a-horrific-crash-sets-off-online-anger-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all) what road signs meant, they would be miles ahead.

The China I left behind didn't bother with maintenance of any moving vehicle... thirty more years of driving will see China open the World's largest scrapyard.
This kind of showboating is cool, until any fool thinks they can do it without practice, on a public motorway.

I would be much more impressed by this if it was done with a minivan full of groceries.

ray hampton
06-03-2012, 6:37 PM
GM produced some trucks with four-wheel steering, but I know of none with just rear-wheel steering.

I saw fire trucks with two man team doing the steering '[ one man in the front , the other man in the back end of the truck steering around the corner, you can buy vehicles with rear -wheel steering only [farm tractors and fork -lift trucks and grass -mower machines, the cars got 4-wheel steering , I wonder what the turning distance are for 4 wheel steering , if one wheel get in a hole , will the car keep doing donuts ?

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 7:24 PM
driving side-way is a piece of cake if the car are front-wheel-drive car compare to the rear wheel drive, DO SOME cars employ rear wheel steering ?

Some cars have employed rear wheel steering the most notable would be the Nissan GT-R. If you are talking about driving sideways like "drifting", a rear wheel drive car is far superior due to the front biased balance and ability to break the tires loose with the throttle to induce the slide, you don't see many drifting cars that are FWD, even all wheel drive cars are hard unless you can adjust the front/rear torque bias or depending on how it is setup from the factory if it is non-adjustable. The best powertrain layout for e-brake parking like this would be a mid-engine car because of its lower moment of inertia. Liken this to an ice skater when they spin faster by simply bringing their arms in, in the case the weight is concentrated in the center of the chassis.

ray hampton
06-03-2012, 8:04 PM
on cars with front-wheel and rear -wheel steering, can the rear wheels be turn opposite to the front wheels and with the front wheels so that one of the drive wheels will not rotate while the car turn in a circle

Joe Angrisani
06-05-2012, 8:50 AM
Clever trick driving, but it's NOT parallel parking.

John Coloccia
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Clever trick driving, but it's NOT parallel parking.

If anything, it's perpendicular parking.

Ron Natalie
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
It is actually. Parallel refers to the relationship to the curb not the other cars or the method used to get into the space.

Joe Angrisani
06-05-2012, 1:04 PM
It is actually. Parallel refers to the relationship to the curb not the other cars or the method used to get into the space.

That's one opinion. Another explains that it refers to the starting and ending position of the car being parked (both being parallel). I'd like to know the state or jurisdiction that allows one to dive across the centerline and directly take a parking spot in oncoming traffic's parking lane. ;)

harry hood
06-05-2012, 2:38 PM
Honda did it, http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/19874ws/index.html Just ahead of its time I think.

Stew Hagerty
06-05-2012, 3:56 PM
DO SOME cars employ rear wheel steering ?

I had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo that had 4-wheel steering. It was called " Super HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering)". The amount that the rear wheels turned was small, but it was very effective.

Under 35-40mph (if I remember right) the rear wheels turned in the OPPOSITE direction as the front wheels to effectively decrease the turning radius.

Above 35-40mph the rear wheels turned in the SAME direction as the from wheels which tended to pull the rear of the car into the turn and reduce oversteer.

The car handled like it was on rails. It was by far the most manueverable car I have ever owned. Parallel parking was a piece of cake.

It was so easy to corner at high speeds, the rear end was nearly impossible to slide out on you. That was long before the age of "drifting".

Between the power and speed of the Twin Turbo and the handling, it is no wonder that one of the big car magazines called it the "best sports car you can buy, for any price, PERIOD!"

Dang…

OK, thanks guys…

Now I miss that car.

ray hampton
06-05-2012, 4:30 PM
I had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo that had 4-wheel steering. It was called " Super HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering)". The amount that the rear wheels turned was small, but it was very effective.

Under 35-40mph (if I remember right) the rear wheels turned in the OPPOSITE direction as the front wheels to effectively decrease the turning radius.

Above 35-40mph the rear wheels turned in the SAME direction as the from wheels which tended to pull the rear of the car into the turn and reduce oversteer.

The car handled like it was on rails. It was by far the most manueverable car I have ever owned. Parallel parking was a piece of cake.

It was so easy to corner at high speeds, the rear end was nearly impossible to slide out on you. That was long before the age of "drifting".

Between the power and speed of the Twin Turbo and the handling, it is no wonder that one of the big car magazines called it the "best sports car you can buy, for any price, PERIOD!"

Dang…

OK, thanks guys…

Now I miss that car.

YES, I bet that you or everybody that park on the street
[metered ] would want that car

Ron Natalie
06-06-2012, 8:34 AM
By that definition, even angle parking would be parallel in most cases. I'll stick with my definition which came from the DMV and the Oxford English Dictionary.

parallel parking, n.

Pronunciation: Brit. /ˌparəlɛl ˈpɑːkɪŋ/ , U.S. /ˈˌpɛrəˌlɛl ˈpɑrkɪŋ/
Etymology: < parallel adj. (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/137462#eid31879893) + parking n. (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/137961#eid31987876) Compare parallel park v. (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/260971#eid10656362)
The action of parking a vehicle or vehicles parallel with (and usually close to) the roadside.

1962 Econ. Geogr. (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/260968?redirectedFrom=parallel%20parking) 38 66 (caption) The width of the Avenida da Republica‥allows for diagonal parking on either side and parallel parking in the center.
1981 Playboy (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/260968?redirectedFrom=parallel%20parking) Oct. 98/3 We do believe that women tend to be lousy at parallel parking.
1993 U.S. News & World Rep. (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/260968?redirectedFrom=parallel%20parking) 24 May 6 (advt.) [Power-assisted steering] will come in handy if you tend to do a lot of parallel parking.
2001 Electronic Engin. Times (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/260968?redirectedFrom=parallel%20parking) (Nexis) 29 Jan., Omnidirectional spherical tires that could be turned in any direction to allow parallel parking in extremely tight spaces.

John Coloccia
06-06-2012, 9:22 AM
Lighten up.

From the online Oxford dictionary:

lighten up

(informal)used to tell somebody to become less serious or worried about something
Come on, John. Lighten up!

:p