PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged

Roland Martin
06-01-2012, 2:15 PM
I needed to cut down a fairly large maple on an ATV trail behind the house, it had a hollow at the base 2/3 the diam. of the tree and ready to fall across the trail. After felling the tree and cutting into sections, I found that 2/3 of the inside of the tree was rotted, nothing to salvage here:(.

Finished cutting it up to move it all out of the way and came home with a few small "maybe" pieces. I ended up getting 7 NE bowls with interesting figure from healed over branch nubs, not a total loss. They're tiny at 2" +/- x 3 1/2" +/-.

This one was Mother Nature's gift, it was large enough for a small HF and the character certainly paid for the chore of cutting up the tree. It's 3" x 3 1/2" and about 1/16" thick, 2 coats of shellac and 10 - 12 coats of WTF,triplee buffed and Ren wax. Mother Nature sure gives us some unique things to turn.

Thanks for looking and feel free to critique.

Ed Morgano
06-01-2012, 3:06 PM
Roland,
No critique here. Beautiful form and finish on a beautiful piece of wood. Nice!

Michelle Rich
06-01-2012, 4:01 PM
mom nature sure blessed you..pretty vase

Jim Burr
06-01-2012, 4:04 PM
Beautiful wood Roland!! Couples of things come to mind...looks like a flat spot in the curve near the base...could be my eyes or the two brain cells I have left! With a wider base like this, a little radius on bottom would give a better feel of curvature to the whole piece, not necessarily a narrower base, but a little tuck on the foot may change the lift of the vessel. I think your finish is great!!!

Roland Martin
06-01-2012, 4:30 PM
Beautiful wood Roland!! Couples of things come tomind...looks like a flat spot in the curve near the base...could be my eyes orthe two brain cells I have left! With a wider base like this, a little radiuson bottom would give a better feel of curvature to the whole piece, not necessarilya narrower base, but a little tuck on the foot may change the lift of thevessel. I think your finish is great!!!

Thanks, I do agree that it could have used a bit more curvature towards the bottom, would have been much sweeter. I tried to get too much from this small piece, the dark area way at the bottom is actually decayed and wouldn't allow me to go any further. I had to fill the bottom with epoxy/coffee to fill voids and keep it together. My intent was to keep that bottom dark band to contrast with the other colors, in hindsight, I could have ended up with a smoother curve without it.
Thanks for the opinions, it helps a bunch!

charlie knighton
06-01-2012, 5:11 PM
very nice, Roland

great piece of wood

Ted Calver
06-01-2012, 7:01 PM
Lovely form, wood and finish. Very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2012, 8:40 PM
Nice form, wood and finish Roland. Well done.

Greg Bender
06-01-2012, 8:57 PM
Roland,
great job on a great piece of maple ,Your finish choice was WTF. I'm drawing a blank ,what is WTF?
Greg

Ted Evans
06-01-2012, 9:10 PM
Great piece of wood and finish, I like the form.

Roland Martin
06-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Roland,
great job on a great piece of maple ,Your finish choice was WTF. I'm drawing a blank ,what is WTF?
Greg

Greg, General waterborne Wood Turners Finish, ought to give it a try. It's starting to get used pretty heavy around here, it's a really versatile finish, low sheen to high luster.

Baxter Smith
06-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Nice looking vase Roland. The wood and finish is very pretty!

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
You did good Roland! Nice form and you brought out all the color the wood had to offer! Sure is pretty!

Roland Martin
06-03-2012, 3:47 PM
Thanks guys & gals, appreciate the comments.

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2012, 3:53 PM
That's a wild looking pice of maple. Your form shows it off well...