PDA

View Full Version : I may be late in seeing this, but here goes....a reciprocating table saw

Quesne Ouaques
06-01-2012, 2:09 PM
I was in either Lowes or Home Depot (or Sears Hardware?) a few weeks ago, and I saw what looked to be a small table saw with a reciprocating blade instead of the regular circular blade.

I didn't have much time to spend, so I did not get a really good look, but as I recall it was $139 (or thereabouts).

I was just thinking I might give it another look, and I was just looking around to see if I could find some more info. I don't seem to be able to find the tool on any of the websites.

Anyone else seen this product? Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 2:13 PM
I think it's made by Rockwell. I believe this is intended to be a utility tool much like a Rotozip or Dremel: something for the homeowner that needs to cut the odd tile or 2x4 but doesn't want to invest in a bandsaw or tablesaw. I wouldn't look to it for the typical precision rip or cross cuts that you typically rely on a tablesaw for. Further, for wider, bigger pieces moving them to/onto the saw can be tricky.

For my money, I would get a decent jigsaw and a multi-tool like the Rotozip. Both have been plenty (for me) versatile...

Andrew Kertesz
06-01-2012, 2:18 PM
When it first came out it did not get very good reviews and was looked at more as a gimmick than a good functional tool.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 2:22 PM
It's hard to get too excited about the tools like this you see on infomercials. I'm recalling the pivoting drill head that allows driver and drill bits to be simultaneously chucked, and umpteen "the last socket/wrenches you'll ever need".

Kevin Bourque
06-01-2012, 2:49 PM
Sounds like a tool the wizards at Ryobi would invent. I'll pass...

Myk Rian
06-01-2012, 3:16 PM
The way a jigsaw blades wobbles around, I can't imagine it being too accurate.
It's not a new idea. Been around for decades.

Jeff Duncan
06-01-2012, 4:30 PM
Not a new idea, and certainly not invented by Ryobi or any other Asian manufacturer. These were around back in.....I want to say maybe the 50's era? May have even been around before that for all I know. Don't see a whole lot of them still in use today which makes you wonder why someone would try to re-hash the idea?

JeffD

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 4:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Xz25lmeC0

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Larry Edgerton
06-01-2012, 5:17 PM
I have been contemplating selling all my tablesaws and bandsaws because of this revolutionary new idea. Since selling my commercial shop I have been a bit cramped, and switching tools to cut curved and straight lines is so old fashioned. I will not only save time, but money and space.

Well, I'm going out to cut firewood with my WrightSaw.......

Larry

John M Wilson
06-01-2012, 5:36 PM
I will not only save time, but money and space.
Larry

My only concern is that the infomercial does not mention how well it cuts hot dogs. :D

Joe Spear
06-01-2012, 7:12 PM
The Rockler in Salem, NH, actually carries the thing. It has its uses, llimited though they might be.

Rich Engelhardt
06-02-2012, 6:26 AM
Don't knock it till you've tried it.....

Having said that - & also having at one time owned a McGraw Edison sabre lathe - I can knock the most recent incarnation of the idea until the cows come home.

There's no shortage of useless things out there to waste money on & the Bladerunner is one of those things.
What's next? Is Rockwell going to come out with a flying lure or a Mr. Microphone?

Richard Dragin
06-03-2012, 1:14 PM
But wait, there's more!!!!!