PDA

View Full Version : Masashige Brand Japanese Dovetail Chisels?

Chris Griggs
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Anyone know anything about the "Masashige Brand Dovetail Chisels" that Hida Tool sells. I'm looking for a couple narrow chisels to round out my set of bench chisels so I'm thinking of picking up a couple of them (3mm and/or 4.5mm). I like that these have a flat top and supposedly thinner flats on the sides then the triangular Japanese chisel typically marketed as dovetail chisels.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Stuart Tierney
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Masashige? :confused:

This one?

It has a flat top too, and no flats on the sides.

And it's got a stamp on the side too.

I thought that little touch was rather cool. :)

Stu.

Chris Griggs
06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Its the same shape as those you posted, but looks a bit different in the pics. The way hida tools page is setup you can't directly link to them but if you go to http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html drop down the woodworking menu then click "chisel" you'll find them. Looks like they have a set of standard bench chisels with the same brand "Masashige". Says they're made by "Mr, Miyawaki of Miki city, Hyogo prefecture."

Stu I presume you sell those ones you just posted? If so what do they go for?

Howard Pollack
06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't know about the dovetail chisels, but I do have a Masashige paring chisel and it is superb, gets sharp easily and stays sharp. Equal in quality, to my amateur judgement, to my much more costly Kuneiki chisels (superb also). -Howard

Chris Vandiver
06-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Masashige are nicely done #2 white steel. I have a couple of friends who swear by them. I have also heard good reports regarding the "dovetail chisel". Certainly worth a try.

David Weaver
06-02-2012, 8:09 AM
Who is the blacksmith behind the name?

Chris Griggs
06-02-2012, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the input Chris and Howard. That's what I wanted to know.

Dave, not sure if you saw my post above but Hida says they are made by "Mr. Miyawaki". Be curious to know if that rings any bells or means anything to anyone?

Stu, what are those chisels you posted pictures of?

David Weaver
06-02-2012, 9:02 AM
Oh, yeah, I missed it.

A vouch here and a couple of vouches from Chris's friends (who seem to be of the fairly experienced type) seems it would make a fairly safe purchase, and they're not expensive.

They look a lot like the ouichi profile (who also makes chisels of white #2 looking like that), but for a lot less $$.

Stuart Tierney
06-02-2012, 9:20 AM
That chisel I posted is an Ouchi 3mm.

Regarding the 'dovetail chisels, here's the thing. At 3mm and 4.5mm, to get 75 degrees on the corners AND have enough meat in the chisel for strength, you're not likely to get a flat on top.

So long as you accept that, ok.

I've knife edged a shinogi-nomi (as the 'dovetail' chisels are rightly called, umeki-nomi is fine too) and even at 6mm wide, to get the angle with enough meat in it, the chisels still has a sharp top.

Miyawaki? Not a ghost, go for it. I've not 'met' them beyond a cursory hello while looking at their gear. Seemed to be ok, but not different enough for me to warrant more than a look, a smile and be on my way.

They're actually easy to spot at shows since the local bookstore chain is also called 'Miyawaki', so the name is very familiar to me. Might give them an information pack next time I see them if I like what I see.

Stu.

Chris Griggs
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Think I'll be picking one or two up before my next build and also a fishtail of some kind. Their not necessities, but they'll make some things nicer and/or easier to do.

Stu, always good to get the inside scoop from Japan, so thanks for chiming in. I'm not too worried about having flats on the top, the idea appealed to me, but more important to me is the lack of side flats.