PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic "Something Big is Coming"

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I read about this in a different thread. Anyone have any insight on what the big announcement is in one week?

Matt Marsh
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I read about this in a different thread. Anyone have any insight on what the big announcement is in one week?

Maybe they're bringing the manufacturing back to the USA?

Patrick McCarthy
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Initially I was somewhat intrigued; now I find myself somewhat miffed by their "big tease". Not sure their advertising executives are getting/giving the best advice. jmho;ymmv, and WTHDIK (what the heck do i know)

Jeff Miller
06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Festool is buying them out. They are going to paint the cabinet saw green and sell it for $32,000.00

JEFF:D

Ted Calver
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I think a new 4224 lathe is coming

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 1:32 PM
There are four basic ideas I have seen proffered:

1. manufacturing back to the US (although I think those are tongue in cheek, I think the chances of that are slim!!!)
2. a blade brake for their table saw
3. a new small bandsaw
4. a new/reworked lathe, likely the 4224

My take on the chances:
1 .00001%
2. .00009%
3. 1%
4. 98.9999%

PM seems to be very tight lipped, no dealer etc I have talked to has any idea and though it is not unusual for them to be wrong they rarely have NO idea.

Myk Rian
06-01-2012, 1:35 PM
Going to sell the company name to China?

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 1:43 PM
I doubt it's a new technology innovation, since those usually get leaked well in advance of product release (assuming there will be some product release). I'm going to guess it's a new flagship tablesaw to be contend with SS and latest mod Unisaw.

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 1:50 PM

I think it will stay Swiss.

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 1:55 PM
I doubt it's a new technology innovation, since those usually get leaked well in advance of product release (assuming there will be some product release). I'm going to guess it's a new flagship tablesaw to be contend with SS and latest mod Unisaw.

Can't see it, one the PM2000 holds it own fine with the Uni and aside from the brake with the ICS as well, it tied the ICS in two major mag comparisons when they both were relatively new. Plus, I can't see anyone putting out a new TS until the legal issues are settled.

They are due for 3 new machines this year, 1 will probably be an oddball but 2 will be one of the basic tools, my guess for those two is a new small bandsaw and a "new" or B version of their 24" lathe. I wouldn't be surprised if their wasn't a cyclone either.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 1:57 PM
Ok, new guess:

They're merging with Ryobi to become Ryobimatic"?

Alan Schaffter
06-01-2012, 3:05 PM
A new line of treadle powered machines- "Powerlessmatic"

Matt Meiser
06-01-2012, 4:28 PM

What difference would it make? Everything is imported now?

Rob Damon
06-01-2012, 6:29 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Meiser

"What difference would it make? Everything is imported now? "

Everything except the Powermatic 511 panelsaw is made overseas according to one of the engineers at Tenn Powermatic plant.

My guess is it will be a bigger lathe as that is what the picture seemed to look like (bed of a lathe).

Rob

Ted Calver
06-01-2012, 6:55 PM
If it is..the value of the old 4224's will probably go down a lot :(

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 7:04 PM
Rob, what picture are you referring too.

Like I said if it isn't a lathe I will be surprised since they are announcing what ever it is on the morning of the American Association of Woodturners symposium.

Joe Kieve
06-01-2012, 8:13 PM
Or maybe they're merging with Delta. Gonna be called "Deltamatic". LOL

Joe

Richard Dragin
06-02-2012, 8:20 AM
I'll guess that it will be a big disappointment.

Matt Meiser
06-02-2012, 8:27 AM
I think we've got a winner!

Usually that's what these over-hyped announcements end up being.

Rob Damon
06-03-2012, 2:13 AM

I believe it was a magazine ad that showed what looked like the bed of a lathe. Can't remember which mag but I noticed someone posted at another website that Fine Woodworking at the ad in it. Rob

Rob Damon
06-03-2012, 2:14 AM
Also just noticed it is the same pic on the Powermatic Facebook site. Rob

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 3:24 AM
It was FWW, I hadn't gotten to it yet. Looks like the bed of a lathe very similar to how the 3520B looks now. Just solidifies my belief it is the 4224 they are redoing or replacing... I imagine the turners may be excited, they seem to love the 3520B and the 4224, so as long as it doesn't encrouch on Oneway/Stubby/Robust pricing they may have a viable product.

johnny means
06-03-2012, 4:40 PM
Does anyone honesty believe PM is really doing anything innovative enough to warrant the hype?

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 6:47 PM
Does anyone honesty believe PM is really doing anything innovative enough to warrant the hype?

It depends how you look at it. Think back to when the PM2000 was released, it made a significant leap in cabinet saws (obvious outleaped by SS later). The PM1800 has lots of innovation (but over priced). The have been lots of other small and large innovations from them in this time period. So in terms of innovation I would have to say that they have been the most innovative within the full line Asian importers over the last 10-12 years but one could argue that is a low bar. In general we woodworkers tend to be a cynical lot and it is doubtful that what is revealed will cause more than a very few people to salivate for any number of reasons. If it is a new big lathe it will easily be over the budget of most and those with budgets that don't really restrict something like a lathe purchase will likely not sway them from a Robust, Stubby or Oneway.

michael case
06-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Its probably a Segway.

Rick Fisher
06-04-2012, 2:28 AM
Okay...

Just a guess.. A new lathe, would look like this ..
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Lathelol.png

Except it would be all mustard ...

Van Huskey
06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Okay...

Just a guess.. A new lathe, would look like this ..
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Lathelol.png

Except it would be all mustard ...

Uhhhh no. PM has kept the me-too machines to a minimum in their line off the top of my head I can only think of three. They won't be bringing out a repainted machine, it isn't their focus.

Rick Fisher
06-05-2012, 2:04 AM
Van...

You may be right .. of course..

However.. This Lathe is a brand new offering, recently launched by Mao Shan.. Who sells to Walter Meier already..

And the model number Mao Shan gave the Lathe is 4220A ..

And Mao Shan is advertising it as CSA approved..

So, why would Mao Shan bother to CSA approve the new lathe .. ( Powermatic in the USA now ships to Canadian dealers )

http://www.maoshan.com/product1.aspx?cid=10&id=101

I have no idea... just speculating.. And the ad did say " something big " .. This sucker is almost 800 lbs..

There is advantages to buying more than one machine from a supplier .. Freight.. Fill the can from one warehouse..

It could of course be that General is going to sell it ?

Richard Shaefer
06-05-2012, 6:37 AM

Like I said if it isn't a lathe I will be surprised since they are announcing what ever it is on the morning of the American Association of Woodturners symposium.

I can't see how you're anything but right that it's going to be a new lathe. Admitted that I don't have a lot of use for a big fancy lathe, but I'm a little dissapointed. I was hoping for a PM combo jointer/planer. There's room in that market, IMO for a good domestic.

Justin Coleman
06-05-2012, 3:49 PM
I think the key is that they say "BIG" in all caps. That is usually marketing speak for something physically small. My bet is a cheap line to compete more on the low end home depot level. Definitely not what anyone of us wants to see, but it would fit their current trajectory.

Matt Meiser
06-05-2012, 3:53 PM
Ha. Maybe they are renaming all the Performax junk at Menards to Powermatic!

Maybe they are buying General's Canadian factory?

Curt Harms
06-06-2012, 8:32 AM
I can't see how you're anything but right that it's going to be a new lathe. Admitted that I don't have a lot of use for a big fancy lathe, but I'm a little dissapointed. I was hoping for a PM combo jointer/planer. There's room in that market, IMO for a good domestic.

I believe that of the entire Powermatic product line, one machine - panel saw? -is made in North America. Every other machine is imported. Nothing domestic about Powermatic.

glenn bradley
06-06-2012, 9:06 AM
You guys ever hear of marketing? New and improved, jumbo economy size, re-introduced, grand re-opening? ;)

Matt Meiser
06-06-2012, 9:08 AM
There's room in that market, IMO for a good domestic.

Apparently not since, as we learned yesterday, General is no longer going to manufacture anything in Canada.

joao carlos hubner
06-07-2012, 6:28 PM
Aqui no Brasil comenta-se que será este o anuncio.Abraços.http://www.cneagle.com/img/WCM250.jpg

Alan Schaffter
06-07-2012, 7:44 PM
According to the recent NewWoodWorker dot com e-mail broadcast Powermatic is updating their 4224.

Mike Tekin
06-07-2012, 7:57 PM
According to the recent NewWoodWorker dot com e-mail broadcast Powermatic is updating their 4224.

Yup- saw that too- I just got my new Aug 2012 edition of Pop Woodworking and there is a Powermatic ad with the phrase "Turn Your Passion into Something Bigger... Introducing the new 4224 B Lathe" - so much for Powermatic's countdown with 15 hours left

Alan Schaffter
06-07-2012, 8:21 PM
Yup- saw that too- I just got my new Aug 2012 edition of Pop Woodworking and there is a Powermatic ad with the phrase "Turn Your Passion into Something Bigger... Introducing the new 4224 B Lathe" - so much for Powermatic's countdown with 15 hours left

Oh, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention NewWoodWorker also had a nice review of the I-BOX too. :D :D

eugene thomas
06-08-2012, 1:40 AM
well how could we forget about the i box?????????????????

Keith Hankins
06-08-2012, 9:33 AM
Yep got an e-mail add for it with a link to click for more info. Only problem was it took me to the count-down counter that still shows an hour to go before the big announcement. OOPS

Mike Delyster
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
The 4224B is listed in thier product line.
http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?Part=1794224K&cat=332178

Mike Delyster
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
The sale price I found online for the 424B is 1000 dollars more than the Oneway 2436 3hp version:eek: