PDA

View Full Version : Converting Text to Vector Help in CorelDraw X3

Tim Earling
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Hello,
I am trying to convert letters/text to vector - I want to manipulate the nodes in the lines of the text with the "Shape Tool". Is their a quick way to do this or do I have to trace the letters with the Bezier Tool?
Thanks

Bill Stein
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Select the text and then:

Arrange>Convert to Curves

Keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Q

Tim Earling
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Bill,
Thank you.
Is it possible to convert images or other things I need to outline into "Curves" and be able to adjust the nodes?

Bill Stein
06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Anything that you draw in CD will either be an object or a set of curves. You can use the Arrange menu to change from one to the other. If by "image" you mean a photo or something similar, the answer is no. You have to start with a vector in order to convert it to curves -- bitmap images don't count. However, you can use the "Trace" function to convert a bitmap into a vector -- sometimes successfully and sometimes not depending on the image you start with.

Bill

George Beck
06-01-2012, 2:36 PM
Tim

I often do this with fonts. Some fonts just do not "pick up" well. Just convert to curves. Then you can alter with the shape tool.

George

Tom Bull
06-11-2012, 3:59 PM
When I want to turn text to vector I select the text, right click on black in color palette, left click on "X" in color palette and it is black hairline. To modify I "select all nodes" and then "reduce nodes" to a managable number. You can change shapes with "shape tool" and get rid of overlaps with "virtual segment delete". You sometimes have to zoom really close to get rid of overlaps.

Steven Cox
06-12-2012, 3:43 AM
You can also use the Weld Tool on Text, This is great where you have script typefaces as it welds all the overlaps. Just type some text, select the weld tool from the shaping docker then click back on the text.... Done!. After that you can manipulate with the shape tool.

Glen Monaghan
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Steven, where were you with this tip two weeks ago when I was preparing engraved acrylic wedding invitations??? I had no idea that you could weld something to itself, and certainly not welding text without first converting to curves.

Although too late to help with the invitations, this also looks like it's a fair solution to a long-standing problem with "single line" fonts in CD. Because of the way (True Type and related) fonts are defined, you have to have closed, fillable outlines, so the so-called "single line" fonts actually have two overlapping segments for every visible part of the curves. For letters like l or G, that's a single closed path while, for letters like O or B, there are "inner" paths for the loop(s) and "outer" paths for the letter itself. That means that lasering a "single line" font takes twice as long as it should and is touchy on very thin stock such as veneers.

I've spent a fair bit of time researching the net and asking lots of people how to get rid of these overlapping duplicate edges, with no luck other than manually breaking each and every curve apart and deleting the duplicates (or, what I wound up doing, making up an "alphabet" of pre-converted and massaged characters and manually constructing the message by copying and pasting individual letter shapes... slow but faster than typing text, converting to curves, breaking apart, massaging each letter separately).

So I just tried this welding trick on a single line font (eng_futuraline). The first time I welded the text to itself, it seemed to basically convert it to curves. I welded the curve to itself again and the overlapping duplicates were (mostly) eliminated! I haven't thoroughly tested it, but capital T's need an extra line across the top deleted, and several letters have what I'd call suboptimal paths. For example, lower case t and x each have one angled subpath and two short straight subpaths that meet in the middle but don't cross, whereas I'd use two straight but crossing subpaths for less movement and greater speed. However, for one-offs and small quantity runs, this double weld is hands-down the best solution I've come across for single line fonts in CD. Thanks for the nudge!!!:)

-Glen

Martin Boekers
06-12-2012, 11:17 AM
One thing I would like to mention is that text is a vector to start with. You can convert to curves then break curve apart to adjust
individual nodes.

On the weld tool, I had some issues when I started using Corel figuring out the ins and outs of this tool. Later I discovered
the Virtual Segment Tool which I use ALL the time. It's worth your while to check out YouTube on how to use this. Not sure
which version though has it it I know X5 does.

Marty

Steven Cox
06-12-2012, 7:41 PM
Later I discovered
the Virtual Segment Tool which I use ALL the time. It's worth your while to check out YouTube on how to use this. Not sure
which version though has it it I know X5 does.

Marty

Virtual Segment Tool came out from X5, I've been using Corel since version 3 (in the days when 1mb of ram and a 200mb hard drive was a big thing!) but since getting out of the graphics / printing / signwriting industries after 25+ years, I haven't needed anything beyond X4, if fact my favorite version is V12 and I use it in preference to X4. The laser has help rekindle my passion for graphics but I now use the laser and my graphic skills to help fund my working retirement.

That said X5/X6 might be worth investigating cause I'm a sucker for new toys!.

Regards Steve.

Steven Cox
06-12-2012, 7:51 PM
Steven, where were you with this tip two weeks ago when I was preparing engraved acrylic wedding invitations??? I had no idea that you could weld something to itself, and certainly not welding text without first converting to curves.
-Glen

Were was I two weeks ago???? Hmmmm.... relaxing somewhere I think would best describe it. I'm glad the tip was helpful. There's so many things you can do with Corel I personally think its under rated considering it's so versatile. I think the moderators of these forums should start a new category for Corel Draw Tips & Hints.

Regards Steve.

Ernie Balch
06-12-2012, 8:05 PM
I import my files into Vectric Aspire and do node editing there, The "Select all duplicate lines" feature is my first step (delete them), then do "Join all open lines". After node editing I export back to Corel for laser cutting and engraving. The bitmap vectorizing feature is also very good to work with.

Martin Boekers
06-13-2012, 9:42 AM
Virtual Segment Tool came out from X5, I've been using Corel since version 3 (in the days when 1mb of ram and a 200mb hard drive was a big thing!) but since getting out of the graphics / printing / signwriting industries after 25+ years, I haven't needed anything beyond X4, if fact my favorite version is V12 and I use it in preference to X4. The laser has help rekindle my passion for graphics but I now use the laser and my graphic skills to help fund my working retirement.

That said X5/X6 might be worth investigating cause I'm a sucker for new toys!.

Regards Steve.

Steve, keep an eye on Corel's web site they always have a sale going on sometimes with extra software.
When I updated from 12 It cost $250, but I got Painter, Win Zip, an Intous Pad, and Photo Pro as well as X5. So watch for their
specials!

Larry Bratton
06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
While on the subject of manipulating nodes, I recently purchased a couple of macros that I have found to be helpful, so I will share the info. One of them is GDG Node Manipulator. One very useful function in this is the ability to join or connect nodes to close paths. It also has a feature to allow moving nodes in all kinds of creative ways. http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=154 Another one is Oberon Fit Objects to path. This obviously enables fitting any object to any curve. http://www.oberonplace.com/products/fitobjects/ You can try them both before buying them, but each one is less than $20.00, well worth the money. GDG also has a nesting program that works pretty well, especially for the money.

John Noell
06-15-2012, 4:00 PM
Virtual Segment Tool came out from X5...
If you mean the "virtual segment delete" tool, it is on X4 as well.