PDA

View Full Version : Task vs Dowl-It Jig Opinions/Experiences

Ken Frohnert
06-01-2012, 6:50 AM
It looks like the Ozzie Jig is not going to be easy to get for my farm table apron to leg project. So as suggested I looked at the Dowl-It. I was thinking the Dowl-IT 2600 since it will let me do up to 6" thickness which should be plenty for the farm table legs. It has replaceable bushings in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8s. I also noted there is a Task Gold Series that will do up to 6" thickness and has replaceable bushings from 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2. The 1/2 may be useful at some point for a bigger project but I think 1/4 and 3/8 would be the most likely to be used so either look okay to me. The money is similar - maybe the Task is a bit more. They kind of look like they work the same to me and look to be similar in quality both with replaceable bushing and opening to 6". Can any of you provide me with some feedback on differences between them which makes one superior to the other. If I am going to buy one I want to make the best decision.

Charles Lent
06-01-2012, 9:44 AM
The Dowel-it jig that I have is self centering (don't remember the model number), so it would not be a very good choice for doing apron to leg joints. I believe that the Task jig is a Chinese copy of the Dowel-it. You want a jig that you can drill dowel holes in the center of the apron ends and the Dowel-it jig would be good for this, but a duplicate set that is offset toward the outside of the legs would be very difficult to do with this jig. To use the Dowel-it type jig you would need to insert a spacer block to create this offset and that would reduce the jig's working capacity significantly. Dowel-Max will do this because it uses spacers to reference off one edge, but it's very expensive.

Have you considered getting away from dowels and going with floating tenons? A Mortise Pal is a bit more expensive than a Dowel-it jig, but much cheaper than a Dowel Max and it can make the centered and the offset holes for floating tenons quite easily using a plunge router with a bushing and a spiral upcut bit. Then you make your own tenon stock with your table saw. To me, this would be my choice for easily joining the legs and aprons.

Charley

Myk Rian
06-01-2012, 10:02 AM
My Dowl-it does not have the replaceable inserts, but the steel seems hard enough to not be a bother.
It's very easy to adjust the centering of the unit. Loosen the screw on the back, and turn the thread insert to zero it to center, or move it off center.
I've had mine for several years, and it has performed well.