PDA

View Full Version : Removing A Stuck Drill Chuck?

John McClanahan
05-31-2012, 9:10 PM
I just picked up on a Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill dirt cheap. The power cord needs replaced (easy for me) and the chuck is damaged to the point it needs replaced. I removed the lock screw and tried my usual trick of chucking an Allen wrench and smacking the wrench with a block of wood. No luck. Next I chucked an Allen socket and used my 1/2" impact wrench with about 90 lb of air pressure. The chuck didn't budge. I'm afraid of breaking some gear teeth if I up the air pressure. Any ideas what I can do to get the chuck unscrewed?

Thanks, John

Sid Matheny
05-31-2012, 9:24 PM
I think it has LH threads are you going the right way?

Sid

John McClanahan
05-31-2012, 9:50 PM
The lock screw that keeps the chuck from unscrewing when running in reverse is left hand threaded. That means the chuck screws on with right hand threads. I'm turning the chuck counter-clockwise when trying to unscrew it.

John

Bruce Wrenn
05-31-2012, 9:58 PM
I just picked up on a Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill dirt cheap.

Thanks, JohnLast week, I saw one in a thrift store for $39.99, and in GOOD condition. Only thing that kept me from buying it was mine still works after almost forty years. My Sawz-All is only three years younger than me, and I start Medicare in four months. I've had to replace the spindle on a couple of "Hole Shooters" trying to get chuck off. Spray some PB Blaster on threads and let it stand for a couple hours and try again. Good luck.

Pat Barry
05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe the chuck is tapered and fits into a tapered hole with a spline to hold it from rotating. You need to chuck something up that you can tap downward to cause the tapered connnection to break loose.
http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-install.asp

John McClanahan
05-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link, Pat.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it is a taper fit. There is no way to remove it as per the instructions in Pat's link without causing other damage. The problem is that it looks like the chuck key got lost, so someone proceeded to tighten the chuck with a couple of pairs of slip joint pliers repeatedly. I can barely make out the name "Jacobs" and "Made in USA". The model number and letter suffix is unreadable.

I bought the drill knowing the defects. It doesn't look beat to death like these tools usually look. The asking price was $15 and I didn't bother to talk him down.

If all else fails, it will still grip some hex shanked hole saws that I have.

John

John Coloccia
05-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Don't use a wooden block to hit the wrench. Use steel hammer. In this case, I would guess that lighter is better. You need speed, and lots of it.

John McClanahan
05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes, light weight and high speed works best. I used a short scrap of 2x2, about 14" long. Holding a hammer by the head and smacking with the handle works good, but I didn't want to beat up the handle of my hammer.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-01-2012, 12:53 AM
John E replacements parts list show a thread shaft. Tom

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/Milwaukee/1670-1_%28SER_472A%29_WW_1.gif

david brum
06-01-2012, 1:00 AM
Here (http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Diagrams/58-14-1782d9.pdf) is a link to the owner's manual. They show the same technique of smacking an allen wrench with a hammer. If your chuck absolutely won't budge and you definitely want to replace it, you could always use a cut off wheel to split it. It's a quick and easy solution, although not reversible.:D

ray hampton
06-01-2012, 4:03 PM
must of the time , you can hold the chuck with one hand and press the switch on/off quick until the chuck are tight , if you only got one hand hold the drill then use a philip driver in the chuck, a straight driver are ratchet between the chuck teeth and the philip driver which acts as a fulcrum point

John McClanahan
06-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Tonight I had success! I used an allen wrench and beat it with a hammer. After about two dozen blows it broke loose. Then I discover the shaft is 5/8" and my spare chucks are 1/2" :mad:, So I took the chuck apart, cleaned and de-burred it. The chuck now turns tight, but will open and close all the way.

I enjoy a challenge like this. I gambled less money than some people spend on lottery tickets and got lucky this time. This drill should out live me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's help!

John

John Coloccia
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Hammer > 2X2

LOL. Glad you got it off :)

Craig Michael
06-02-2012, 8:45 AM
Tonight I had success! I used an allen wrench and beat it with a hammer. After about two dozen blows it broke loose. Then I discover the shaft is 5/8" and my spare chucks are 1/2" :mad:, So I took the chuck apart, cleaned and de-burred it. The chuck now turns tight, but will open and close all the way.

I enjoy a challenge like this. I gambled less money than some people spend on lottery tickets and got lucky this time. This drill should out live me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's help!

John

Always try pb blaster, wd 40 or similiar and allow it to work its magic. Glad you got there.