PDA

View Full Version : 1st suspended attempt

Steve bellinger
05-31-2012, 5:51 PM
This is my first attempt at a suspended hf. There's still more work needed to be done. None of this is glued up yet, so can still make any changes i need to. Woods are black gum,walnut, cherry, and oak burl. Thanks and all the feed back i can get will help me a bunch.233372233373

Jim Underwood
05-31-2012, 6:10 PM
Nice first attempt. I like the shape you're taking with your hollow form. I do think that the curve of the suspension and your HF should match though. It appears that the curve at the top of the HF straightens out, where the curve of your suspension runs on through.

I'm also not sure what I think of the other side of your suspension piece... I can't decide if it should arc over the top of the HF instead or not...

I really like the captured sphere though. That's a nice touch. As is the frame/inset effect on your suspension piece.

Overall, it reminds me a little of Alan Carters work which I enjoy quite a lot. I hope you'll take that as a compliment, as that's how it's intended.

Looking forward to where you take this...

Steve bellinger
05-31-2012, 6:17 PM
Jim thanks,as far as Alan Carters work ,i've been admiring his work for a long time, This piece is my own, but his work is the reason i've been wanting to do one.

John Keeton
05-31-2012, 8:15 PM
Steve, along with Jim's comment on the matching curves, the form seems to lean. I think it might work better if it was perpendicular the the table surface. I like the nice circular radius on the opposite side and feel it balances the mass on the form side. Since the piece is viewable from both sides, I would replicate the insets (which look very nice) on the other side.

Very neat concept!

Harry Robinette
05-31-2012, 8:55 PM
If I'm understanding what the others are saying, me to. The top of the HF to the holder just in that little spot the HF is to close. But it is very beautiful and really a nice piece first one or not it's really nice.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2012, 9:01 PM
For a first attempt (and even after a few attempts) You've done a wonderful job on the vessels form and the stand. I really like the stand a lot. The shape actually kind of lends to the slight tilt of the vessel. All in all you've done an excellent job.

charlie knighton
05-31-2012, 9:07 PM
cool, very nice piece Steve

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Really nice piece Steve.

Jim Underwood
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
So I'm looking at this again, and I think now I'd suggest one of two things.. or maybe three. You have some nice lines going here, and you need to tie them together..

If you lean the HF, then really LEAN it in the direction of your S curve in the suspension piece and remove the lump in the middle just above the HF. This way the movement of the piece is less confusing and unified.

If you have the HF straight up, I think I'd continue the curve of the suspension piece right over the top of the HF and also conform the HF's curves to it- in other words the curve in the bottomof the HF would continue instead of straightening out.

If you did this, and you wanted symmetry, then you could add a second HF on the right with matching curves...

Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there. They're probably worth what you paid for 'em... :p

I'll tell you what Nick Cook told me when I asked him for a critique...

Nothing wrong with the form, you just need to make a dozen of them and play with it...

Baxter Smith
05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Having never tried one, I think you have done a very nice job! I will agree with the suggestions to match the curves and eliminate the tilt, good luck with your revisions or your next one!

Michelle Rich
06-01-2012, 6:45 AM
this is a toughie question..It has a lot going on at once. the sphere, the long arm, the 2 toned stand...then the horizontal bars holding a pointed base form. The long arm suggests maybe the vessel should have been hung from it..otherwise it just goes out to space .. My vision is not your vision, so if you like it, and are proud, that's the reason it should be just as it is. Put it in your living room & live with it for a few months and then ask yourself the same question again.

Jim Burr
06-01-2012, 8:32 AM
Once you get these down...well I'll say it again...gallery!!! I like all the elements seperately. What would happen if you shortened the arm a bit? Level the vessel out would work. I'm not sure oak burl works for me...maybe to much contrast or to different a contrast...I don't know. Can't wait to see where you go next!

Thom Sturgill
06-01-2012, 9:56 AM
Steve, you've gotten some very good suggestions for improving a fine piece. I agree with the comments on matching the curves. Treat the white space between the HF and the stand as a separate element that needs as much attention to form as either the HF or the stand.
Either straighten HF or lean it more, as it is it looks like an accident. Make a definite statement. Also, if the stand is to be viewed from both sides (and it sdeserves to be), match the embellishment on both sides of the stand or give it a unique treament such as a carving, though that might just look like you could not make up your mind which to do.

Steve bellinger
06-01-2012, 6:27 PM
Thank all for the critiques as that is just what i was looking for.As far as the tilt i hadn't seen it in real time till it was pointed out. Now as far as the arm goes this is what i had invisioned and had drawn up on a piece of paper. i know this is a art piece and that's all it will be. So i guess i could do as one guy said and put a rose in it,set it on a desk and give folks something to talk about.:D Thanks again and you will most likely see more of these,with some of your imput in them.:)

Nate Davey
06-01-2012, 6:59 PM
Steve,

I've not read the other responses so forgive if this has already been said. Firstly, this is a beautiful piece, the suspended form is one I want to try when I start turning again. Having said that, I love the stand and I love the form but I think the stand overpowers the form. Can't wait to see your next piece.