PDA

View Full Version : Old Powermatic Jointer Possibility

Bob Coleman
05-31-2012, 5:30 PM
Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) an old powermatic 6" jointer? Guy is asking $250. I haven't heard back on model or serial number, but its the first green, '59-'69 vintage, no racing stripe. Looks a little beat up, and there's no guard.

Good deal? I'm really looking for an 8", but for a decent deal on an old one I could live with 6"

Thanks in advance!

Chuck Wintle
05-31-2012, 5:32 PM
Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) an old powermatic 6" jointer? Guy is asking $250. I haven't heard back on model or serial number, but its the first green, '59-'69 vintage, no racing stripe. Looks a little beat up, and there's no guard.

Good deal? I'm really looking for an 8", but for a decent deal on an old one I could live with 6"

Thanks in advance!

is the [price on the high side given the age and the size? I would say closer to $125 for this model...but this may be my frugal side speaking out though.

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 5:47 PM

Thanks in advance!

From my point of view you already answered you own question.

Back to the question you ask there is too much good used equipment to take on a beat up guard missing jointer (which is overpriced). It is one thing to take on a restoration of a large, rare, cheap machine but a "commodity" like a 6" jointer makes more sense to buy a plug and play version.

David Kumm
05-31-2012, 7:18 PM
Stick to an 8". There are enough opportunities to get a larger one so pass that one up. Dave

Larry Edgerton
05-31-2012, 7:20 PM
The missing guard would be a deal breaker for me. If it had the guard I would say it would be worth looking at. $125 is too low, I would say about $175.

I have that exact jointer with a byrd head that I use on site. It gets hoisted up with a winchto different floors, and it is quite heavy by the way, and moved all over the place and is doing just fine. I bought it with the Byrd for $400 and was very happy with that deal. Sweet light duty machine really.....

Larry

Carl Beckett
05-31-2012, 7:42 PM
Stick to an 8". There are enough opportunities to get a larger one so pass that one up. Dave

+1 on what Dave said

David Kumm
05-31-2012, 8:22 PM
+1 on what Dave said

Of course if he was looking for an 8" I'd say hold on for a 12", etc, etc, etc, Dave

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 8:25 PM
Of course if he was looking for an 8" I'd say hold on for a 12", etc, etc, etc, Dave

Just get a 36", machines are always better when capacity is measured in yards and weight is measured in tons... :D

David Kumm
05-31-2012, 8:38 PM
Just get a 36", machines are always better when capacity is measured in yards and weight is measured in tons... :D

Your arms need to be measured in yards as well to use one that wide. There just was a 166 ED on woodweb. Lasted one day. Dave

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 8:49 PM
Your arms need to be measured in yards as well to use one that wide. There just was a 166 ED on woodweb. Lasted one day. Dave

Thats what a feeder is for and a second "stick jointer" for edge jointing. I saw the ED it looked to be in great condition almost emailed you but figured you saw it, think they wanted $4500 for it.

Rick Fisher
05-31-2012, 9:00 PM
8" Jointer is twice the machine of a 6" Jointer..

Up in Canuckistan, that machine would sell for $500.00

Ed Griner
06-01-2012, 3:45 AM
I own that exact(model# 50) jointer and its been great. I replaced it with a Hammer A3-31 12" J/P combo which is even greater. Powermatic made in Mcminnville,TN was the Cadillac in its time,its real American metal. Personally,I would stay away from the Pacific Rim stuff.

Matt Meiser
06-01-2012, 7:55 AM
I restored the exact same jointer. I think I paid $200 for mine and it was three phase and needed the paint stripped due to many layers of paint. The guard may be hard to find though. You could make a very serviceable replacement from plywood and some hardware store parts (the spring will be the hard part) while you look. Redmond Machinery in Atlanta supposedly has a huge stash of PM parts, but when I was looking for some on two different occasions I couldn't get them to return multiple phone calls or emails.

But...I bought a 12" J/P combo and sold it.

Carroll Courtney
06-01-2012, 8:00 AM
I think that the jointer is worth asking price but I have to say 8" is better but it will cost around the 600 plus price tag and if you can find one.Alot of school woodshop had mostly PM machines cause it could handle the kids so they are very HD.One of the things I like is the fence on PM jointers,they stay square and can handle alot of sideways pressure,and maybe a 3/4hp Robbins-Meyers motor.I sold a Jet 6" jointer awhile back for 250 and its no where's near the quality machine as the PM.All American made machine----Carroll

Bob Coleman
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the input folks. I think I'm going to skip this one and hold out for an 8". Problem is, when it comes to quality woodworking tools, Denver really is the wild wild west. I've been looking for ~3 years for one. Best I've found so far is a newer Delta DJ20 for $900. 6" Jointers on craigslist run $400-$500 (and up!). A Delta benchtop is up right now for $275!

I generally add 10-20% to prices I would have paid when I lived in GA or NY.

David Kumm
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. I think I'm going to skip this one and hold out for an 8". Problem is, when it comes to quality woodworking tools, Denver really is the wild wild west. I've been looking for ~3 years for one. Best I've found so far is a newer Delta DJ20 for $900. 6" Jointers on craigslist run $400-$500 (and up!). A Delta benchtop is up right now for $275!

I generally add 10-20% to prices I would have paid when I lived in GA or NY.

that is a fair price for the Delta. There is an older Oliver 144 at auction on www.machinerymax.com (http://www.machinerymax.com) that is located in Utah. Probably three phase but as sweet an 8" as you will find. Dave

Don Jarvie
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
If you need a jointer I'd pick this up, if not then wait. 250 for a PM jointer is a very good deal and you could resell it for at least that when the time comes.

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 2:07 PM
. Redmond Machinery in Atlanta supposedly has a huge stash of PM parts, but when I was looking for some on two different occasions I couldn't get them to return multiple phone calls or emails.

They do have a large stash of PM parts, the problem with parts is you need old man Redmond and he is hard to get. If you need parts I suggest if you don't get a return call the next time make friends with Connie (who answers the phones) and explain your need for a return call, be sweet and she will be sweet back. When she is having a really good day, or even a really bad one, when she is looking up something for you etc she will hum, it makes me smile since it is like "on hold music" just in person.

Greg McClurg
06-01-2012, 4:57 PM
Bob,

Here's an 8" PM in Denver for $350. http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/3043461656.html

Van Huskey
06-01-2012, 5:03 PM
Bob,

Here's an 8" PM in Denver for $350. http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/3043461656.html

That looks like a PM50 which is a 6" jointer and is the same picture the OP posted.

Larry Edgerton
06-01-2012, 5:08 PM
Apparently it is still growing. I suspect that next week it will be a 12" @ $450 so waiting may be a good thing. This also explains why there is no guard. Its not done growing yet so there is no sense fitting with a guard when it is just going to outgrow it in a week.

Larry

Bob Coleman
06-01-2012, 5:17 PM
I'm holding out for it to hit a growth spurt. Van promised me 36 . . .

Bob Coleman
06-01-2012, 5:20 PM
The DJ20 was a little while ago, and alas, available when the shop was full of my late brother-in-law's possessions (had to clear out the house quick - long story)

Couldn't really swing that one, as you can imagine.