PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl/ feather hollow

Tim Chase
05-31-2012, 4:58 PM
These taller forms aren't as easy as one would think.
7"H x 3" D 1 1/4" opening
Other than a smaller opening waht do you think?
Comments and critiques welcome.
Thanks Tim233364233366

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2012, 5:50 PM
Tim - I think you did a great job on the elongated form! Very difficult to create that without a flat spot! You did good! The wood is amazing and the finish really brings it all to life! You should be real happy with this one!! Nice work!

Jenny Trice
05-31-2012, 9:12 PM
Beautiful form, beautiful wood, maybe a dark wood collar would compensate for the larger opeining?

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Really nice piece and I like the form. Finish is nice.

Baxter Smith
05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Nice curve, nice wood, nice finish. The collar sounds like a good suggestion to try.

Michelle Rich
06-01-2012, 6:39 AM
I think it's quite nice as is..this way you can put a tall glass inside & use as a vase.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 9:10 AM
Beautiful. The mouth size is fine, IMHO.
This is way better than I can do, so I offer this muse/critique with humility:

On the next, maybe try not tucking the bottom? I don't think this form needs it.

My first thought was that my eye wanted the lower curve to begin higher/closer to the shoulder, but looking at it now, I think that actually may have made the form topheavy. I like the curve as is.

Jim Burr
06-01-2012, 1:26 PM
Great job on keeping the sweeping curve all the way up, or down, Tim!!! Normally a smaller opening would be kosher, but in this case I really think the larger opening works well...dry flowers or another type of arrangement would be great! Finish really lights the candle....so to speak!

Scott Lux
06-01-2012, 2:32 PM
I'm with the majority on this, the opening is fine. It's a great piece, well done.

Ed Morgano
06-01-2012, 2:54 PM
Tim,
That's a nice form. I would prefer a smaller opening but as others have said, it works well on this piece.

Bob Bergstrom
06-01-2012, 9:18 PM
Tim, great job. I would like to see some long stem flowers in it. The feather would really enhance the length of the flowers. Beautiful form and the hole makes it a usable item. Thanks for the look and keep them coming

Tim Chase
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Some interesting responses that are much apreciated. Many indicate the opening being a bit larger is fine I will be working to get it reduced from 1 1/4" down to just over 3/4" it will probably take me getting the 5/8" bar to go with the Carter hollower we'll see. I have completed another form similar but taller and a bit more gradual curve. I did also tuck the bottom and really do like the affect. I hope to make a small collar as the form has a little bit of spalting and a black collar could be a nice touch so collar # 1 is on the mental drawing board as we speak. Pics before collar soon!
Tim