PDA

View Full Version : What's your single best turning accessory purchase?

Prashun Patel
05-31-2012, 2:34 PM
I know this is a very rich question, and i intentionally am not narrowing it down by category or anything. I'm just curious what you'd say your single best purchase is. Can only pick one...

I'll start: 8" CBN grinding wheel: Let's me sharpen more often, more perfectly, more smoothly, and instantly made me a better turner.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2012, 2:47 PM
My Glaser turning tools. More specifically, my 5/8" gouge or my miniQR's. Don't make me choose. 8-)

Of course one has to have a lathe to begin with. My PM 4224 holds the title as well.

Nate Davey
05-31-2012, 2:57 PM
My lathe, I've sold it now and can't turn....seems to be any essential piece of the turning equation.:D

Tim Rinehart
05-31-2012, 3:45 PM
That's a tough question...because had I purchased it complete, it would be my Jamieson style hollowing rig and/or my Nichols style steady rest, both of which I made after purchase of a small mig welder and the associated parts.
So, for me, I'd have to say the mig welder has been the single most important purchase (after the lathe itself). The capability to make various jigs and modifications provides a lot of flexibility in what I do and will want to explore doing.
If I were to go with the most used accessory (excluding gouges and such) I've ever bought...it would probably be these in order:
1. Slow speed grinder and Wolverine jig
3. Jeff Nichols tool rests
2. Beall buffing system

Bill Wyko
05-31-2012, 4:05 PM
Nate, I have a Jet 1442 for sale. I can solve your dilemma.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-31-2012, 5:03 PM
My best accessory purchase to my Jet 1014, is my Jet 1642 2hp. Nice upgrade.

Rich Greinert
05-31-2012, 5:09 PM
CBN grinding wheels from D-Way Tools

Steve Vaughan
05-31-2012, 5:15 PM
This is a great thread! Just taking notes here to see what I'm gonna have to go out and get so I can participate the next time it comes around!

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2012, 6:49 PM
Ooo I love these! OK, let's say you can't pick any kind of turning "chisels" because they are more of a "necessity" an "accessory" (sorry Bill...)

So for me it's the Glaser screw chuck. I have lots of "accessories" but if I had to give them all up except one, that would be the one I would keep.

Marty Eargle
05-31-2012, 6:59 PM
If we're not talking about machinery and chisels...I probably use my center finder more than any other accessory. Very simple and I could surely manage without it, but as I turn a fair amount of pre-cut round blanks, it makes lining up centers much quicker.

Also, getting a quality set of HSS drill bits has made both turning and general woodworking much easier.

Jon Nuckles
05-31-2012, 7:05 PM
I take it for granted, but I would not want to be without it: my Wolverine system.

Thom Sturgill
05-31-2012, 8:15 PM
Hard question, but if I eliminate gouges, I would go with my Nova chucks or probably my Robust tool rests

J.D.Redwine
05-31-2012, 8:24 PM
My UVEX S8500 Bionic Face Shield.

Allen stagg
05-31-2012, 8:35 PM
My JoolTool sharpening system. I use the Wolverine system every now and then.

Harry Robinette
05-31-2012, 8:44 PM
I'd say my 1200cfm Delta DC and my 1400 cfm Laguna ambient air cleaner. My lungs are bad so without these I can't do any woodworking or turning.

Bill Wyko
05-31-2012, 9:06 PM
In that case DD, I too really like my Glaser screw chuck. In the past, the little ones you attach to a regular chuck kind of scared me. I had visions of flying chunks of wood every time I looked at one of those. I would also have to add, my steady rest from Keith Clark (which now does not work on my PM4224 lathe due to 10 more inches of swing) It weighs a ton but works fantastic.

Mike Cruz
05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
My best "purchase"? The Wolverine sharpening jig with Vari-grind. Without it, sharpening would be a chore...which, might, and I say might, make it a deal breaker with turning...I'm not into spending more time learning how to sharpen a tool than using it...

Since I didn't "purchase" it (I made it), I can't chose my circle cutting jig for cutting slabs into circles...works like a charm.

Reed Gray
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Well, can't choose one. Oneida centralized dust collection system, Laguna 16HD bandsaw, and Robust lathe. CBN wheels are in there as well. Too many good quality turning tools to pick one. I platform sharpen, so no Wolverine for me.

robo hippy

Thomas Canfield
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
The Wolverine sharpening system including the diamond dressing for wheel which made a quantum leap in sharpening and is used most and the sharp tools made the biggest difference to my turning. The Don Pencil buffing system with 12" shaft has made buffing easy and improved finishing, especially on larger bowls and deeper hollow forms.

Bob Bergstrom
05-31-2012, 11:12 PM
CBN wheel here also. It is so smoooooooooooooooooooooth. Got the 180 and planing on the 80 grit.

Scott Hackler
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
The best purchase I have made was the wolverine system and the slow speed grinder. The second (and a very close second) was the SuperNova2 chuck.

curtis rosche
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
my second lathe,,,,,,,,,,,
or the new chainsaw

John Beaver
06-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Stubby Convertible Drive Center.
Threads on, adjustable, and I've never had it slip.

Rick Markham
06-01-2012, 6:15 AM
If we are excluding handtools then I would assume hollowing rigs would be excluded too, because my Kobra system is really the "bees knees". But since it's excluded... :D

I would have to say I would keep my rubber chucky reverse chucky :)

joel nucifore
06-01-2012, 7:34 AM
I think my VERSA-FLOW my lungs thank me second the sanders light system LOVE IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tim Leiter
06-01-2012, 8:45 AM
I guess I would have to say my Wolverine sharpening system with the vari-grind jig and Woodcraft slow speed grinder. Soon I hope to say the Raptor angle set up tools I just ordered from CSUSA. I can never get consistent angles or the correct angles on my turning gouges (they are on sale right now too :D ).

Rick Markham
06-01-2012, 8:47 AM
I think my VERSA-FLOW my lungs thank me second the sanders light system LOVE IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joel you made me rethink my answer, I just got an 3M AdFlo system, and I don't know how I lived without it!

Eric Holmquist
06-01-2012, 9:20 AM
I really like my Tompkins Gage-it caliper

I also really like my New Edge 2" drive center that fits in my chuck jaws

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-01-2012, 9:54 AM
I use my Kelton calipers a lot but I too would miss my Stubby drive center.
faust

Rich Stewart
06-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I have to go with Beall buffing system. I was never really satisfied with my finishes until i got that. Chucks would be high on my list of must-haves.

Jerry Marcantel
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I suppose I'm going to be a little biased on this , but buying a chuck pretty much forced me develope the chuck plate.. Since then, I don't know how anyone, especially me, can turn anything without using it first to turn a tenon...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Reed Gray
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Jerry, what is a chuck plate? I must have missed that one.

robo hippy

Jim Burr
06-01-2012, 1:28 PM
I'm with Kyle on the lathes...have the same thing and there is no reason to trade out or up. After that it's a choice between the Tormek and the bandsaw.

Roger Chandler
06-01-2012, 1:46 PM
Accessory? It would have to be my SuperNova Chucks. After that the wolverine jigs for sharpening, then my monster hollowing rig, then my Nicols steady rest, then my CBN wheel from D-Way, then a steb center and a cone live center, then my vacuum chuck..........that is the descending order of priority in what was most important.............since gouges, etc are not counted in this.

of course, the safety things like air cleaner and Trend Airshield pro are key...........I consider those my health protection and not necessarily turning accessories,though they are used in turning sessions as well. I have not had enough time to use my rubber chucky reverse chucky thingy to be able to evaluate its value, but I think it will end up being an important accessory in my arsenal.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2012, 2:00 PM
Hmmm, well noted! Will have to look into all of those.

The question wasn't intended as what's important. It's just that as I was sharpening on my cbn yesterday I thought, "gosh, this is best darn thing I spent my $$ on recently." I know it's not the most important accessory, but I just LOVE it. I was just curious what other things people just love.

Scott Lux
06-01-2012, 2:39 PM
I'm going to have to go with my Airshield Pro. Makes it possible to turn without coughing the next day.

Ed Morgano
06-01-2012, 3:03 PM
Central dust collection (ClearVue Cyclone System) because I wouldn't even go in the shop if I didn't have that.

George Guadiane
06-01-2012, 3:30 PM
Rolly Munro Articulated Mini Hollower (with an extra link).
Best of the FABULOUS Munro hollowers. This tool made hollowing easier and more controlled for me. Bit of a learning curve, but well worth the time I invested.

Jim Burr
06-01-2012, 3:56 PM
I'm going to have to go with my Airshield Pro. Makes it possible to turn without coughing the next day.

The only reason I didn't include mine is that it hangs on the back door of the house on the way to the shop...I don't have a choice! But I like your entry Scott!!

Joe Kieve
06-01-2012, 8:20 PM
My Nova G3 for my Delta midi. Love it!

Joe

Ted Evans
06-01-2012, 8:57 PM
Sharpening station with Baldor slow spend grinder, CBN 8" 180 grit and Norton blue 3X K 80 grit wheels, Tormek fixtures and jigs.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2012, 11:48 PM
CBN 180 grit wheel and Airstream AS 400 respirator.