PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest Carving Suggestions

Tom Scott
05-31-2012, 2:25 PM
I have done very basic carving of names for gifts and such. 233354
But now I am working on a cherry dovetailed blanket chest that will be a wedding gift for my son. The design of the chest is traditional (shaker-ish), and I'm having a difficult time deciding what, if anything, I should carve...and where. I thought it used to be common to add names and dates to blanket chests, but I'm having a difficult time finding good examples...maybe because it was more common to paint. I'm not looking to decorate the chest with elaborate carvings, but rather keep the design simple and "enhance" with their family name (or initials) and wedding date. My previous letter carving experience was with mostly blocky letters. I was thinking more scrolling letters to go with an older feel.
I have also been considering locations. I don't like the idea of it on the top lid. Possibly on the front panel...and also possible on underside of top lid.
I would love to hear your thoughts or to see any examples.

thanks,
Tom

Trevor Walsh
07-09-2012, 8:59 AM
I plan on building a very similar piece for a wedding gift, a shaker blanket chest with drawer. My current intention is to carve some monogram with date, perhaps with a short phrase around it on the underside of the lid, visible only when open.

Another idea would be to carve the front bottom skirt, though that would depend greatly on the size/size of text and all, or even if your chest has a skirt.

Trevor Walsh
07-09-2012, 9:11 AM
Not a blanket chest, but sort of like this.

Tom Scott
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Based on input from the spousal unit, I have at least narrowed down the location to the underside of the lid. What I carve and the style are still up for debate. It could be as simple as initials and wedding date, or possibly family name. Still not sure on that, but so far all I have is a big dovetailed cherry box - no bottom, no skirt and no top - so I have a little time.

BTW Trevor, your carving looks good.

Trevor Walsh
07-10-2012, 7:26 AM
Thanks, do you have Chris Pye's book Lettercarving in Wood? I just got it to fuel this foray into carving and it's been really helpful and includes things like layout and whatnot.

Tom Scott
07-10-2012, 9:14 AM
Yes. Good book as that is what I used to help me along with the other letter carving I've done. He also has a good website if you haven't already checked it out.

Trevor Walsh
07-12-2012, 7:52 PM
Haven't, but I will.

Carl Beckett
07-14-2012, 8:51 AM
I vote for simple.

Initials, and a wedding date. You can find some nice examples of lettering styles out there however elaborate you want (to the point that sometimes you cant tell what the letter is!). But less is more for this design, overly elaborate might be too much for the simple shaker style of the chest.

Tom Scott
12-06-2012, 2:12 PM
FYI, I decided to keep it simple and similar to what I have done in the past. The carving is on the inside of the top panel, so that it will only be seen when the lid is lifted.
Construction of the chest is now done and I'm working on the finish. Overall, I think the chest turned out nice and will post pics in the "Projects" section when complete.
Thanks for the input.

Chris M Pyle
01-10-2013, 8:38 PM
Very nicely done. I'm sure he'll appreciate that every time he looks at it.