PDA

View Full Version : Hand applied sunburst video

Hayes Rutherford
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
An interesting Fine Woodworking video showing how to create a sunburst type effect using water soluble dyes and french polish.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30182

Rich Greinert
05-31-2012, 1:46 PM
Thanks for posting this link Hayes.

Ed Morgano
05-31-2012, 3:05 PM
Hayes,
That is a great video. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Leiter
05-31-2012, 3:06 PM
I tried the link this morning and again this afternoon and both times it says it is not available.. I'll try again to view it later. Am curious as to how it is done.

Hayes Rutherford
05-31-2012, 3:57 PM
Tim, I just clicked on it and it seemed to work fine. You do need Adobe flashplay and maybe there was briefly too much traffic.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2012, 4:10 PM
Thanks Hayes. Great video.

Jon Nuckles
05-31-2012, 7:24 PM
Fun video. I like that he uses Everclear instead of DNA to mix his shellac. No toxic fumes and he can host a party when the finishing is complete!

Tim Leiter
05-31-2012, 8:52 PM
I tried the video link for the 3rd time and it worked fine. It must have had too much traffic when I tried earlier. Thanks for posting the link.
Tim.

Rick Markham
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Hayes, This is a great video, thank you for posting this! This is an excellent example of color theory and how it relates to depth. Its also an excellent example of the process that Prashun was describing in the other thread, and one of the concepts that has been playing around in my head for some time. Now I know that largely the ideas bouncing around up there have some merit, and that they are worth exploring. I'm glad you remembered this video. I am going to have to use the "pre dye" prep on my next piece, I was usining an extremely washed out dark color to in lieu of wetting the wood first. (Seems like a brilliant trick to wet it first)