PDA

View Full Version : selling jewelry?

curtis rosche
05-31-2012, 10:11 AM
i took back some of the things i bought, under normal circumstance i wouldnt have,,,,, long story.

but i know have some nice jewelry to sell, whats the best option? and what percentage should i expect to get out of the original cost for real gold and silver?
theres ebay, craigslist, the pawn shop, the local gold and silver places,, any other options?

Ron Natalie
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Most of the "we buy gold" stuff in the hotel tours are real rip offs.

Your best bet is to figure out how much you legitimately have in melt value. To do this you will need to weigh it and determine what amount of gold is in the alloy (14K, etc..).
If it's not marked, most of the real gold buyers (the jewelry stores and pawn shops that specialize in such) can do a quick assay. Of course, you will need to remove any non-gold parts
(stones in rings, etc...) to get an accurate weight. With the knowledge of the value you can see if you can get a decent share at the jewelry store/pawn shop.

Plated stuff isn't worth much.

Myk Rian
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
As a benchmark, I got $95 for just over 2 grams of gold crowns at a jewelers. I believe they were 10 carat.
Hurt like hell when he pulled them out. :D

curtis rosche
05-31-2012, 1:21 PM
so theres no real value in the actual jewelry? like the one piece is a silver locket with scroll work and mother of pearl inlay

David Weaver
05-31-2012, 1:29 PM
That's probably the case unless it is exceptional, handmade, branded (i.e., something popular at the time) and unusual.

Belinda Barfield
05-31-2012, 1:51 PM
Curtis, you could always hold on to if for "future need". Just don't ever say you bought it for someone else. :D I would E-bay it, or take it to a local consignment shop and sell through them.

curtis rosche
05-31-2012, 3:44 PM
Curtis, you could always hold on to if for "future need". Just don't ever say you bought it for someone else. :D I would E-bay it, or take it to a local consignment shop and sell through them.

thought about that,,, but theres too much attached to it (and i wouldnt feel right regifting it),,,, apparently at the time it was bought, and the past 6 months were a lie,,,, so i took that and a few other things back,,,,,,, gonna use the money for either some woodworking tools i wanted or some new speakers now that i dont have anyone using me for money :mad:

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 4:04 PM
Currently unless it is truly good jewelry like Tiffany, Cartier or Bvgari it is worth melt value period. No outlet that sells jewelry will buy jewelry to keep in the cases now, the price is too high and if the bottom drops out (or even a small change in price) they could be stuck with a bunch of "mall" jewelry they will never be able to unload. http://www.midwestrefineries.com/ These are the people to deal with, my wife is a hot glass artist but she and her friends use lots of precious metal in making their jewelry, this is the place the whole "communtiy" has used for years for their scrap. This is not an upstart and you will generally get the best prices with no "shopping".

Again unless it is from a marque jeweler, jewelry is only being bought currenty for melt value. BUT that ain't bad in todays market.

Belinda Barfield
05-31-2012, 4:17 PM
Interestingly, there are several sites for selling jewelry from an ex boyfriend, like exboyfriendjewelry.com and outofyourlife.com, but I couldn't find a site that allows you to sell ex girlfriend jewelry.

Correction - exboyfriend has a section "For the Boys - Stuff Men Get Stuck With"

John A langley
05-31-2012, 4:53 PM
My sister sold a handful of our deceased mother's gold jewelry to some dealer in New York City. She sent me a check for half of it. My check was $3750.00. She also just sold some silver of mother's - that check was $980.00. Gold and silver are up right now. My understanding from my sister is that this is a highly reputable firm and if you want, I can get you the name. And no, my wife did not let me buy any tools - it went into the bank.

curtis rosche
05-31-2012, 7:02 PM
also gotta decide what to do with a new kindle with a one year warranty,,,,

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 7:07 PM
also gotta decide what to do with a new kindle with a one year warranty,,,,

I don't think they melt those down... :D