PDA

View Full Version : Repointing Phillips Head Screwdrivers

John Baum
05-31-2012, 1:15 AM
I tried searching this topic to no avail. Google elects to broaden the terms 'repoint' and/or 'repointing' by dropping the 're' prefix.

Has anyone seen a jig designed to restore the working end of the Phillips head screwdriver? They are almost as easily stripped as the screws, especially of someone else elects to use the wrong size for the screw.

I hate to buy a new screwdriver if I can restore one I already have.

Thanks,

John

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 1:29 AM
This was my search: fixing point on phillips head screwdriver

It came up with this and a couple of others:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-file-down-a-stripped-phillips-head-screwdriver

In the end I suggest better screwdrivers, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184593-OK-Who-makes-REALLY-GOOD-screwdrivers-Or-Apparently-Craftsman-is-the-new-HF&highlight=screwdriver all you wanna know about peoples opinions on drivers of screws.

Myk Rian
05-31-2012, 7:43 AM
I've re-ground the points using a white wheel on my grinder. Hold it at the point angle and lightly clean it up.

John Coloccia
05-31-2012, 8:27 AM
I'm with Van. Buy good screwdrivers and they will last a LONG time. If you buy them from Sears, Harbor Freight, Lowes or Home Depot, you will not be happy (although I think Home Depot is now carrying Klein, and they make nice screwdrivers).

Rod Sheridan
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Once you grind the screwdriver tip how do you case harden it again?

As Van said, buy good screwdrivers ( and in my Canadian opinion there's no such thing as a good Philips screw or driver).............Regards, Rod.

Bill Geibe
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I have to disagree with John on Sears Craftsman. They have been my go-to screwdrivers for 35+ years. I rarely have had any problem with them and if I do I take them back. I've returned a couple smaller flat-blade screwdrivers (chipped or broken tips - usually because I did something I shouldn't) but never a Phillips. In my book they are among the best. I taught shop for 36 years and always ordered the Craftsman screwdrivers as they held up so well.

Also, there would be no need to 're-point' a Craftsman Phillips head. If it ever wore out, take it back and they'll give you another one.

Bill

John Coloccia
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
When is the last time you bought one, Bill? They WERE my goto screwdriver until maybe 5 or 10 years ago. The ones I had were so bad that I didn't bother to replace them as I was tired of ruining screws. I threw them out, and replaced them with Wera and other quality screwdrivers. Their sockets, wrenches, hex wrenches and things like that still seem to be fine.

Incidentally, there are numerous stories of people getting the runaround trying to get "lifetime warranty" tools replaced.

Myk Rian
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Once you grind the screwdriver tip how do you case harden it again?
You don't get it hot in the first place.

Tom Walz
05-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Only 5 - Free Wiha #2 Phillips Screwdrivers – only 5

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/softfinish-heavy-duty-phillips-screwdriver-2x100mm-wiha-31202/ (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/softfinish-heavy-duty-phillips-screwdriver-2x100mm-wiha-31202/)

First five that ask for them.
Two rules:
1. You have to post here so everybody can keep track.
2. Then you have to send an email with complete contact info to: csq@carbideprocessors.com (csq@carbideprocessors.com) (csq is Whitney, our Customer Service Queen.)
We need shipping address, phone number and email.

You will not be on a mailing, will not be billed, etc.

If you have been on here a while you have seen me do this before.

The only way you really know how good tools can be is to use them.

When I started the business I had $500 which was not a lot of money even in 1981. I bought $1 tools out of the bucket on the store counter because I didn’t know better.

Thirty years later, we sell tools. We have over 17,000 tools and a lot of them are screwdrivers. I really like the screwdrivers I am giving away. I bought a set of them for my own use at work.

I am giving some away because you just don’t get the difference until you use a really good one. Better if you use a really good one for a decade or two.

Tom Walz

Myk Rian
05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Great. I'll take one.
E-mail on the way.

Greg R Bradley
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Tom,

I'm NOT going to take one of your free screwdrivers. I do know the difference and those 5 should go to someone that does not.

Those Wiha screwdrivers are excellent and reasonably priced.

I think it is really great of you to make offers like this.

Jeff Miller
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
I have to disagree with John on Sears Craftsman. They have been my go-to screwdrivers for 35+ years. I rarely have had any problem with them and if I do I take them back. I've returned a couple smaller flat-blade screwdrivers (chipped or broken tips - usually because I did something I shouldn't) but never a Phillips. In my book they are among the best. I taught shop for 36 years and always ordered the Craftsman screwdrivers as they held up so well.

Also, there would be no need to 're-point' a Craftsman Phillips head. If it ever wore out, take it back and they'll give you another one.

Bill

What he said;)

JEFF:D

phil harold
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
I will take one!
thanks!

Ben Kiefer
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd love one as well. Thanks!

Stan Krupowies
05-31-2012, 1:02 PM
I would love to try one of them. I have always used Craftsman and would like to see the difference.

Andrew Joiner
05-31-2012, 1:45 PM
I'd love one. I just sent you an email Tom, Thanks!

Tom Walz
05-31-2012, 1:56 PM
That is five, the way I count. If I am in error please, let me know.

Mr. Bradley and Mr. Miller, I very much appreciate and admire your viewpoint and actions.

I have been in too many discussions about whether a tool was good or not. In my opinion, the only real test is how well it works for the person using it.

Thank you all.

Tom Walz

Bill Clark De
06-01-2012, 6:24 AM
i would like one

John Coloccia
06-01-2012, 9:11 AM
I'd like a European combo machine, Tom. Let me know when you're giving a few of those away. BTW, I never ordered that blade from you...I gave up on the radial arm saw idea. In retrospect, what I was trying to do was dumb considering the other tools I have available. So what I'm saying is I'd be willing to trade my RAS for a nice European slider, in case you didn't feel like giving one away...

:D

Andrew Pitonyak
06-01-2012, 9:51 AM
OK you guys who receive a free screwdriver...... I expect to see a review of what you like and dislike. Please comment on the handles and how well they grip the screws.

My favorite screwdrivers based on the handles are the top level Craftsman screwdrivers.

I have a fancy set of Wera screw drivers that I have not used enough to comment on, but they are certainly OK. It is what I grab when I need to drive a #2 square.

Come to think of it, I also have a set of the "Life Time" screwdrivers from Lee Valley. Pretty sure these will never need to be replaced.

I should probably sit down with five or six sets of screwdrivers that I have and compare them... From looking at them, I think that those offered to five of you have much potential.

Tom Walz
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
John,

You could have a mini-dado built but the Radial Arm Saw would probably not be the best platform.

I thought we were also talking about a blade for your SawStop. There is just no way to make that blade for a SawStop. According to Saw Stop a blade that thin just won't work on their machines.

Maybe a desk top mill?

Unfortunately we don't sell European combo machines. If you were to find a vendor who does I would be more than happy to vouch for the fact that you are a very fine person and would make an excellent tester and reviewer.

When you do get the free slider, let me know and I will give you a screwdriver to assemble it.

John Coloccia
06-01-2012, 2:08 PM
I thought we were also talking about a blade for your SawStop. There is just no way to make that blade for a SawStop. According to Saw Stop a blade that thin just won't work on their machines.

I have devised a way... ;)

SawStop would not be impressed with my solution.

Alan Lightstone
06-01-2012, 7:39 PM
Bought a set of Wiha screwdrivers a month ago. Threw out the Craftsman. Not worth bringing back to Sears to get new junk.

The Wihas are great.

Ellen Benkin
06-02-2012, 2:33 PM
If you buy from Sears can't you just take it back and say it's defective?

Van Huskey
06-02-2012, 4:10 PM
If you buy from Sears can't you just take it back and say it's defective?

I think the problem is not the warranty but the fact the Cman drivers seem to have gotten soft in the last few years. The gas to take one poor driver back to get a new one would have paid for a quality driver to begin with and you wouldn't be stuck with a non-functional driver for X amount of time.

The Wiha are excellent but my current favorite (unlikely to change since they look like they will last me a LONG time) is the Wera Lasertip, I got a 6pc set and added a posidrive for euro hinges for about $35 (green 300 series).

Matt Meiser
06-02-2012, 5:26 PM
I bought some of those Wiha's in Torx. Very nice drivers.

Alan Lightstone
06-02-2012, 8:44 PM
I think the problem is not the warranty but the fact the Cman drivers seem to have gotten soft in the last few years. The gas to take one poor driver back to get a new one would have paid for a quality driver to begin with and you wouldn't be stuck with a non-functional driver for X amount of time.

The Wiha are excellent but my current favorite (unlikely to change since they look like they will last me a LONG time) is the Wera Lasertip, I got a 6pc set and added a posidrive for euro hinges for about $35 (green 300 series).

Exactly. Also, had a brain fart. I actually bought the Wera Lasertips too, not the Wihas. Very nice screwdrivers.

Wera, Wiha. Yee Ha!!!! Too confusing...

Van Huskey
06-02-2012, 9:12 PM
Exactly. Also, had a brain fart. I actually bought the Wera Lasertips too, not the Wihas. Very nice screwdrivers.

Wera, Wiha. Yee Ha!!!! Too confusing...

I honestly had to LOOK since I can't keep the two straight, all my precisions screw drivers are Wiha and all my good "normal" sized drivers are Wera and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Keith Weber
06-03-2012, 1:48 AM
Years ago, I bought a ratcheting Snap-On screwdriver with the interchangeable bits in the handle. Now I only use my Craftsman screwdrivers as prybars and chisels. When they're finally unfit to serve their new role, I won't be replacing them with new ones, free or not.

John Baum
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello All,

Since this thread has gone woefully astray, here is what I learned by researching the question on my own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwdriver

The driver has a 57° point and tapered, unsharp (rounded) flutes.

So, one needs a jig to hold the file at 57° when recutting the point, and, one needs to remember that the flutes, like the slots in the screws, if they are made to standards, do not have sharp corners, but rounded ones that cause the screwdriver to cam-out before the screw-head is stripped. The whole approach, directed at 'automated' automobile assembly in the 1930's, is no longer needed since modern automated screwdriving machines can be programmed to stop applying torque when a specified torque level has been reached.

Has anyone with access to a microscope had a look at the heads of screws currently being sold to see if the original Phillips specification of a rounded recess is being universally observed? Here’s the best I can do with a brass #6 flat-head wood screw using a 3x5 card, my scanner (the left image is with VueScan’s default settings and the right with archive quality and 1200 dpi as the input parameters) taken to PhotoShop. I call it my ‘poor man’s digital microscope.’ It certainly looks to me that the rounding where the points of the cross meet is being honored. Perhaps a repointing with sharp corners will fit these screws equally well and will also work more effectively with JIS screws, whose corners are sharp.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/2391/phillipsscrewhead.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/864/phillipsscrewhead.jpg/)

Since I asked the question, I thought I’d provide the best answer I’ve found in case someone else is led her by Google.

Thanks,

John

Tom Walz
06-05-2012, 12:31 PM

I just bought some new sets for work. I went with Wiha, Felo and Bondhus for nut drivers. We really like Wera but their manufacturer's rep out here is a real dud so we are not selling them yet. Yes, the ones in the box are what is left of 40 years of buying screwdrivers.

Tom

Tom Walz
06-05-2012, 1:02 PM
Pictures of screw heads

Tom Walz
06-05-2012, 1:04 PM

Tom Walz
06-05-2012, 1:06 PM
I think those are all supposed to be #2 Phillips.

The variations in design and quality are really interesting.

Tom

John Coloccia
06-05-2012, 2:36 PM
IMHO, the Phillips screw should be taken out behind the barn and put down. Reed and Prince is a far superior design for general applications, AND one size screwdriver works for numerous sized R&P heads. Theoretically, one driver fits all. I do wish R&P would become more popular.

Myk Rian
06-07-2012, 4:26 PM
Got my Wiha today. Really nice tool. Fits the hand good.
Wife reminded me Fathers day is coming up. :)

EDIT: The little bag of candy was a nice touch

Stan Krupowies
06-08-2012, 9:02 AM
Got my Wiha today. Really nice tool. Fits the hand good.
Wife reminded me Fathers day is coming up. :)

EDIT: The little bag of candy was a nice touch

Got mine yesterday too. It does feel very nice in the hand. I will post more after I use it a few times but my initial impression is that it's a very nice tool. And my step wife enjoyed the candy!! Thank you very much Tom :D

Ben Kiefer
06-08-2012, 9:22 AM
My Wiha arrived yesterday tool. Comfy handle, seems really solid. It sure beats my ratty collection of screwdrivers.
Thanks for the fine tool, Tom. I'll have to get a set of them.

John Baum
06-11-2012, 3:03 PM
Tom,

This is one fine screwdriver, very well thought out. It is the only one I've seen that permanently incorporates what it is (+ and PH2) so I can see it in a bin, butt end out, and know that it is a Phillips #2. By all reports, I should not need to see the bit end to know if it is fit to drive screws.

I should add, I have a lot of screwdrivers, many of which I inherited from a neighbor, a man of Scot's ancestry, who could never pass up a bargain, especially at the flea market, but also at Harbor Freight.

The screwdriver that stimulated my post is a Fuller #312, a #1 Phillips, that was almost certainly grabbed by a 'helper' to drive a #2 Phillips screw. I bought it over 40 years ago when I lived in Vancouver, BC. It is Canadian made. Like many companies, they now manufacture in China. I believe they had an enviable reputation in the late 1960's.

I did not learn much about restoring the Fuller #312 as a result of my post, but I did learn that good tools are still being made. Thanks again for showing me that Weha is still making good tools.

John

[QUOTE=Tom Walz;1935372]Only 5 - Free Wiha #2 Phillips Screwdrivers – only 5

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/softfinish-heavy-duty-phillips-screwdriver-2x100mm-wiha-31202/ (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/softfinish-heavy-duty-phillips-screwdriver-2x100mm-wiha-31202/)

First five that ask for them.