PDA

View Full Version : Missing hollow form with finial

Hayes Rutherford
05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I haven't felt like turning much since Memorial Day weekend so in an effort to amuse myself I decided to hollow a chunk of semi dry maple without getting creative or doing anything to the outside first. I bored to establish the bottom, then using a J.Jordan swan neck hollowing tool and straight tool opened the inside until I was almost out to the sides at about 1/3 down, then proceeded to connect the top and bottom until I had what I thought was a flowing curve. Pretty much just straight forward hollowing without any influence from the outside shape.

Since there is no hollow form there to critique, just negative space, feel free to respond with any "negative" comments you might have. What isn't there measures approximately 4" x 8". The finial is something I had around and had no place to go and since there is no form it went nowhere.

Ryan Mooney
05-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Hah nice one! I think you should polish up the inside side and finish it. You could call it "metaphormosis".

Rick Markham
05-31-2012, 4:12 AM
This is awesome Hayes... I like the finial to nowhere... it belongs... but is also totally out of place. Looks like an excellent example of "inner beauty" :D

John Keeton
05-31-2012, 6:11 AM
Hayes, now you can take all those chips and shavings, mix them with some resin and mold your own "rough outs"!! Should make for some interesting pieces.:D Maybe use Alan Trout's left over reject acorn caps?!?!?

This has to be much more difficult than one would think - I am amazed at the accuracy of the inner form. Very well done and the finial is beautiful - even proportioned well to the vase that isn't there.

Michelle Rich
05-31-2012, 7:14 AM
Negative space? You buttin' in my negative space? horrors!!!! :-) Go back to positive stuff..you have been warned!!! LOL LOL
very cool.

Tim Rinehart
05-31-2012, 8:20 AM
I was thinking exactly what JK said...on the difficulty of gaging the inner form. That's a very cool piece Hayes, well done!!

Roger Chandler
05-31-2012, 8:35 AM
I like it! Nice work Hayes...........sanding the insides smooth might be a real challenge, but this one is neat!

George Guadiane
05-31-2012, 9:24 AM
I have never been so impressed with empty space!
You prove that nothing can be beautiful if you just use your imagination.
Except for the finial (which is actually pretty nice) this lack of vessel really is the finest nothing I have ever seen.

Seriously, I find this series absolutely STUNNING.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2012, 9:37 AM
Wow!! That is beyond cool! Puts a whole new perspective on the negative space stuff! Love the imagination!

Hayes Rutherford
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Steve, I kind of knew this would end up looking somewhat like pieces that were posted on the wow website a couple of weeks ago (if I got lucky)But for me this was simply an exercise in blind turning where the pieces on wow were not blindly turned at all, but used a strobe light to "stop" the piece so a pre drawn pattern could be followed with a laser guided hollowing tool. His pieces were nicely finished, very artistic, and I have no intentions of spending another second on this piece. The finial just by chance happened to press fit so I stuck it there for a picture. So please don't give me credit for having an imagination!! The thought did cross my mind to turn a form that would fit exactly into the space.

Thanks to all for the nice comments and George, I have actually been through Austerlitz!

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
This is a great concept. I was immediately reminded of the similar pieces you mentioned. But only because I have never seen this done before. These pieces are very reminicent of ceramic slip casting molds or wooden casting patterns (another "lost art"). The addition of a finial on this adds a counterpoint, a "positive" element, to the negative space hollow form as well as a whimsical touch. Very well done!

Prashun Patel
05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
This is brilliant. I love the idea and the execution. I'm impressed. Your presentation is also perfect. And the finial. It's just very innovative. Love it.

Mike Cruz
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
That isn't cool! I love what you didn't do. That was totally thinking inside the box. Sorry, can't think of any more...

I do love JK's idea of using that as a mold for resin HFs. Would save a LOT of resin!

Mike Golka
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Very cool, the finial adds a kind of Ying and Yang thing to the piece.

Baxter Smith
05-31-2012, 3:11 PM
Very nice Hayes. That must have been great practice for feeling an inside curve! You did very well at it!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-31-2012, 3:51 PM
Actually, I believe Hayes' experience in hollow forms must have been the primer that taught his hands to feel this shape. I can't imagine what the inside of a square block would look like if I tried what Hayes did. It is interesting enough to make me want to find out ....... some day. Meanwhile, I credit your imagination and feel, Hayes.
faust

Steve Vaughan
05-31-2012, 5:22 PM
This is a great piece! The other day I was looking at some turnings on the AWW site and saw a similar piece. They used a darker wood and rather than a finial, had turned a tall, slender tulip-looking piece that stood in front. This is such a neat piece, and I agree, finish out the inside of it.

Alan Trout
05-31-2012, 5:47 PM
Very intriguing concept and A wonderful job of blind turning.

Alan

Mike Cruz
05-31-2012, 5:48 PM
Yes, I agree, and meant to but forgot to say so in my earlier post... Sand and finish the inside. I think it is worth keeping.

Jamie Donaldson
05-31-2012, 7:46 PM
I'm attempting to conceptualize/visualize how the form would be accurately shaped and measured on the inside?? You're made an excellent nonform, or an unform, but the sanding needs a bit of attention!:rolleyes:;)

charlie knighton
05-31-2012, 9:12 PM
very nice Hayes, you should take it to San Jose

Harry Robinette
05-31-2012, 9:18 PM
Hayes very nice piece The idea itself is definitely not in the box.That's an original.

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2012, 9:22 PM
Funny thing... no one's mentioned that it could use a bit of a "tuck" at the bottom! As to sanding the inside... I actually kind of like it being rough. Especially with the finely finished finial.

Hayes Rutherford
05-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Jamie, never really thought about the form shape other than it had a top, bottom, and widest area. I was surprised the bottom portion wasn't more curved when I cut it in half.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Hayes that is beautiful and just cool.