PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No. 923 brace

rick carpenter
05-30-2012, 6:11 PM
I just bought a Stanley No. 923 10 inch brace. Seems to work well after dousing with WD40 and then light clean up, not wobbly at all. But what do I want to lube it with? I'm not really wanting to take the ratcheting mechanism apart, so do I just apply machine oil? Or bite the bullet and take it apart and grease it with what kind of grease? It's gonna be a user and not babied. I can post pics later if anyone wants after the handle and knob are finished with BLO.

James Taglienti
05-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Unless you plan on putting 40 hrs a week on it i would say work some gear oil into the spots where bearings are or whatever medium oil is around, engine oil even and call it good. Maybe a dab of grease on anything thats threaded

Christian Castillo
05-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Unless you plan on putting 40 hrs a week on it i would say work some gear oil into the spots where bearings are or whatever medium oil is around, engine oil even and call it good. Maybe a dab of grease on anything thats threaded

+1, I like using breakfree CLP and lithium grease.

Bill Stephenson
05-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I have recently purchased Stanley 923 10", PS&W 14",North Bros.Yankee 20101A 12" and a Miller Falls 34 6" and all I did was clean them up and oiled all moving parts. They are all working like new. The area I found to have needed the most work is the chucks, chuck springs & jaws, I was surprised that I did not have to disassemble any of the pawls just kept working them and cleaning with WD40. They will not get daily use and should hold up well. I was able to do most cleaning with 000 steel wool and finished polishing with Flitz metal polish. For the inside of the chucks I cut a piece of 1/2 "dowel made about a 3" cut on the table saw to make a slot, shoved in a scotch brite pad and chucked in a drill. Shove it inside the chuck from the back & away you go. The 923 is the one i use the most and the 6" is great for screws. ( lots of control)