PDA

View Full Version : Yipee! I get to deliver this tomorrow!

Jason Ochoada
04-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Well, I finally have finished my latest project. It's for a customer who's son owns and reads many books. He told me he wanted a bookshelf bed with lots of storage. So this is what I came up with. It has three drawers (full width) that can slide through either way, all sides are finished so it could sit in the middle of a room and look good. He spec'd hard maple for everything and that's what he got.

Thanks
Jason

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Beautiful work Jason! How do those drawers operate? Are they on slides?

Jason Ochoada
04-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ken,

The drawers are on wooden slides and suspended from the box spring support slats. Instead of a traditional slat I made kind of an "I" beam which the drawers ride on. It's the first version and as you can tell the space between drawers is fairly large about 2 inches. The order will have the same system but I need to work out the system to bring the drawers closer. Here is a picture head on of the system. I later stained the runners and the I beams to make them less visible.

Boyd Gathwright
04-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Welcome aboard Jason,

.... Very nice work. The design is very economically minded. Nice choice of wood and well done ;).

.... It's a good thing you added pics to your post cause I am sure the pic police are in hot per suite :eek: :D.

Boyd

Well, I finally have finished my latest project. It's for a customer who's son owns and reads many books. He told me he wanted a bookshelf bed with lots of storage. So this is what I came up with. It has three drawers (full width) that can slide through either way, all sides are finished so it could sit in the middle of a room and look good. He spec'd hard maple for everything and that's what he got.

Thanks
Jason

Jim Becker
04-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Wonderful work and design, Jason!

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 1:15 AM
Beautiful work Jason, that looks great!

Corey

Dan Forman
04-03-2005, 6:56 AM
Jason, that is fabulous!!! I need to make something along that line, esp like the drawer idea.

John Renzetti
04-03-2005, 8:57 AM
hi Jason, Very nice design and work. This bed will probably get a lot of rough use. What finish did you use and what process did you use to get the nice even color in the maple.
take care,
John

Jason Ochoada
04-03-2005, 3:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, it's very much appreciated.

The finish was a mix of transtint honey maple and mahogony brown applied by spraying. I started hand applying but there was a lot of cool grain but the pieces tended to absorb unevenly so I sprayed the dye on. Then came a coat of dewaxed ultra pale shellac which was sprayed also. smoothed with 400 and then topcoated with 4 coats Target coatings Ultima Spray Laq.

Thanks
Jason