PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw motor direction

Jack Wilson
05-30-2012, 2:30 PM
This may be one of the stupidest questions going, but here goes!... I picked up a scroll saw with no motor, I have an old 1/4 hp craftsman motor but it runs "backwards" from all my other motors in the shop. For the life of me I don't see any reason direction would make a difference for a scroll saw, either clock wise OR counter clockwise, both should work shouldn't they? :confused:

Thanks!

Mike Henderson
05-30-2012, 5:52 PM
From the information you gave it's tough to give an accurate answer. One possible reason for a certain rotation is to keep screws and bolts from coming loose.

Mike

ray hampton
05-30-2012, 7:03 PM
From the information you gave it's tough to give an accurate answer. One possible reason for a certain rotation is to keep screws and bolts from coming loose.

Mike

that is why we got left-hand screws

Jack Wilson
05-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Mike

What other information can I give? The scroll blade is spring actuated, trying to remember how it works, but there is a spring loaded top cap, other than the threading of screws, blade goes up spring pushes down, or vice-versa, still seems like it shouldn't matter, right? At the end of the day the blade either goes up and down, or down and up.

Myk Rian
05-30-2012, 10:23 PM
It all depends on what brand it is.
Delta, Atlas, Walker Turner, it doesn't matter.
Some of the old C-man needed to turn CC if looking at the right side of it.
Some of them have an arrow cast into the side.
More info always helps. So do pictures.