PDA

View Full Version : Biesmeyer fence question

Sean Walker
05-30-2012, 12:50 PM
I bought a Craftsman 22124 that was sitting in a guys basement for years still packed in plastic. After getting everything setup, i noticed the fence doesn't slide smooth. I also noticed that the pads are leaving marks on the table surface. Any tips for me on getting it to slide smoother?

Thanks again everyone.

Glen Blanchard
05-30-2012, 1:03 PM
Assuming that there is nothing grossly mis-aligned, I'd try wax!!

John Piwaron
05-30-2012, 1:29 PM
Ditto. Check alignment. I just assembled and aligned a Unisaw with a Biesemeyer and I wouldn't say the sliding action is "easy" - it has some friction to it. It slides well, about what I expect. I used to have a Craftsman table saw onto which I put an aftermarket Biesemeyer homeshop fence. That fence had a leveling foot that slid on the angle iron at the rear. None of the fence actually touched the top of the table. It was very very close, it just didn't quite touch. That leveler had a slick plastic bottom and the angle iron had gloss paint. It actually slid very easy. Yet was accurate.

So tweak yours. consider what it has to do and decide accordingly. Wax or not, alignment - do what you have to do. You do have that little gage for setting the height of the front angle iron piece from the table top?

glenn bradley
05-30-2012, 3:48 PM
Yep, make sure you are aligned well and apply wax to the surface. The nylon pad will leave a shiny mark on the table. I added a felt pad but, they eventually leave a mark as well. You can see the "skid mark" in the upper right of this pic:

I was surprised how long the little felt dots I added last though. Been on there for years and is still green although very well compressed ;-) A thorough cleaning of the front rail (after unpacking) is a requirement for smooth movement as well. Once things are set up you can have an unbelievable amount of spoil in the path and the fence continues to move well.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
You didn't tell us what you PAID!

Joe Scharle
05-31-2012, 8:53 AM
You might be too tight between the fence tube and the locking pad.

Sean Walker
05-31-2012, 2:51 PM
You didn't tell us what you PAID!

I paid 400 for it.

Paul Wunder
05-31-2012, 5:51 PM
Shawn,

Good advice above. If you still have problems try calling C/S at Steel City Tool Works. Their Orion Division made those saws for Sears and the current Steel City table saws share many components.

P.S> Great price for a great saw. Enjoy.

Lee Schierer
05-31-2012, 7:59 PM
When I installed my Beismeyer on my Craftsman saw, I had to relocate the glide at the far end of the fence so it actually ran on the table. As I recall, I carefully pried it out of the two existing holes and drilled two new holes where the glide would be over the table, the same size as the original holes. I tapped the glide in the new holes and it works just fine.