PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl on a Pedestal....

Wally Dickerman
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Maple burl vessel turned thin to be lightweight. The ebony finial and pedestal are the same form reversed. I borrowed a little from David D but the vessel form is mine. Height overall is about 14 inches. Daly's tung oil finish. C and C welcome.

Prashun Patel
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
wow. humbling. Wally, could you share your finishing regimen? I love the sheen of this. How big is the opening on that vessel?

Marty Eargle
05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
That wood and finish look stunning. The proportions look a little weird to me at first glance, but I think it works.

Gotta love burled Maple.

Wally Dickerman
05-30-2012, 2:06 PM
wow. humbling. Wally, could you share your finishing regimen? I love the sheen of this. How big is the opening on that vessel?

I've been using Daly's Ben Matte tung oil finish for many years. I do most of my finishing on the lathe. I start out by putting oil inside the vesel and running the lathe for a few minutes. Some of the oil wil come through if the sidewalls are thin. I apply a lot of oil on the outside, let it sit for a few minutes and apply more. I polish the oil in with a soft cloth. Later I apply several light coats with at least 24 hours between coats until I get the desired finish. 3 to 5 coats. Usually I don't want a high gloss, especially on burl. I don't like a built up finish.

Prashun Patel
05-30-2012, 2:23 PM
I know a little about yr wetsanding regimen, but what grit do you go up to b4 applying the Dalys? I know it's a fave of yours - even in light of newer fangled finishes; that's why I asked.

Wally Dickerman
05-30-2012, 3:51 PM
I know a little about yr wetsanding regimen, but what grit do you go up to b4 applying the Dalys? I know it's a fave of yours - even in light of newer fangled finishes; that's why I asked.

I sand to 600 followed by 1500. I have a hard time understanding those who say they sand to 320 only. I hate to see a well turned piece with sanding marks.

Bill Wyko
05-30-2012, 4:04 PM
Wally, why do you have to set the bar so high? You really make it difficult for anyone to one up you my friend. Kidding aside, that piece is extraordinary, you are one talented turner sir. I'm always happy to see a thread from you, thanks for sharing.

charlie knighton
05-30-2012, 4:16 PM
very nice, Wally, thanks for sharing

Rick Markham
05-30-2012, 5:08 PM
Another really nice piece Wally! I really like the tung oil finish on Maple burl especially, it really adds a lot of depth in the different directions of the grain. I have two maple burl amphoras that are only tung oil finish, and they are two of my favorites.

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2012, 5:33 PM
Great looking elevated HF, Wally. The form and figure in the wood are smashing! If I were going to "pick a nit" it would be that the "transition piece" between the lid and the finial's "onion" looks "upside down" to me. That is, the larger flair "should be" sitting on the lid and the onion perched on top of the smaller flair. If you took the pedestal and flipped it over, that's how the flairs would be oriented.

I hope that's a "niggly" enough nit for you because that's all it is...

Roger Chandler
05-30-2012, 7:29 PM
Pretty turning Wally. Very proportional on the pedestal and finial............you do such fine work! I think DD's suggestion would make it about perfect! I like the soft luster of a tung oil finish.........just takes longer than I have to work with most of the time, but I think tung oil is beautiful, especially on maple and cherry wood.

Jim Burr
05-30-2012, 7:40 PM
I love the flow Wally...my eye is drawn up from the base, not just stuck in one area...not easy to do! Finish is of course...perfect!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-30-2012, 7:52 PM
Wally,
I really look forward to seeing your posts. This one is no exception. It's a simple shape made elegant by your workmanship.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2012, 8:53 PM
Really nice piece Wally. I do like your finish.

John Keeton
05-30-2012, 9:27 PM
Well done, Wally, well done!! Someday I may have to give that finish a try. Though I use a lot of gloss finish, I still like the "in the wood" look, too.

Michelle Rich
05-31-2012, 7:22 AM
lovely, from top to bottom..very elegant

Tim Rinehart
05-31-2012, 8:16 AM
Beautiful elegant piece Wally. Thanks for sharing the finish info...I suspect my patience isn't as great as yours.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2012, 9:39 AM
Beautiful work Wally! The maple is radiant! Thanks for sharing!

Pete Jordan
05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Boy, do I like this a ton, Wally!

You sure do nice work!

Baxter Smith
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Beautiful curve on your form Wally. The wood is kind of nice too.:)

Hayes Rutherford
05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Most excellent pedestal form Wally, tastefully lifted and adequately supported, a combination I think hard to get right.