PDA

View Full Version : Walmart price match

Jerome Stanek
05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I went to the wonderful world of Walmart to pick up 2 prescriptions that were called in. I had a price page from another pharmacy that is just across the street and asked if they would price match. they said that they do and when I showed them the prices they said it was below their cost and no they would not price match. Then they come out with my scripts and one only has 3 pills out of 90 they want me to come back in a couple of days and get the rest. So they don't price match and they want me to send more money and time to get something that they advertise and don't come through.

Matt Meiser
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Uh...why not just go across the street to start with?

David Weaver
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
At least i'm not the only person who doesn't have a lot of faith in the "guaranteed lowest cost" guarantees that everyone has.

It seems that at a lot of places like to make that guarantee because it sounds good in an advertisement, and then make excuses as to why they won't match.

Hopefully they at least gave you a break to their cost and didn't just completely stiff your effort.

Jerome Stanek
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
They weren't going to give me a break and I ended up going across the street and had my RX transferred. I also let my SIL know because she gets the same meds as I do

Matt Meiser
05-30-2012, 1:10 PM
I just don't get the whole "price match" thing. If you are going to sell me the same thing why would I go to your store and go to the hassle of getting you to match the price if I can just walk in the other place and buy it at that price with no hassle? Last time I considered buying an appliance at Sears, this was their tactic. The regular price was 10% over MSRP, "on sale" for MSRP. When I commented on that, the guy told me I could shop around and bring him my best price and he'd match it. Why? Why not just buy it from that place? He didn't get it. Like he thought doing business with Sears was an honor.

Lowes/Home Depot it at least makes some sense where they'll beat it by 10%.

Harry Hagan
05-30-2012, 2:13 PM
It's hard to believe that the largest retailer in the world pays more than another pharmacy.

Bruce Page
05-30-2012, 2:53 PM
I just don't get the whole "price match" thing. If you are going to sell me the same thing why would I go to your store and go to the hassle of getting you to match the price if I can just walk in the other place and buy it at that price with no hassle? Last time I considered buying an appliance at Sears, this was their tactic. The regular price was 10% over MSRP, "on sale" for MSRP. When I commented on that, the guy told me I could shop around and bring him my best price and he'd match it. Why? Why not just buy it from that place? He didn't get it. Like he thought doing business with Sears was an honor.

The “shop around and come back” has always baffled me too.

Jim Koepke
05-30-2012, 3:03 PM
This is just one of the reasons I do not bother to enter the not so wonderful world of Wallmart.

jtk

Phil Thien
05-30-2012, 6:57 PM

Perfectly said, Matt, I could not agree more.

Jay Runde
05-31-2012, 12:02 AM
I just don't get the whole "price match" thing. If you are going to sell me the same thing why would I go to your store and go to the hassle of getting you to match the price if I can just walk in the other place and buy it at that price with no hassle?

1. To take advantage of no interest financing.
2. Rewards that I have at one store and not the other.
3. Distance from home. You can take in the ad for another store so you don't have to travel as far.

Kevin W Johnson
05-31-2012, 2:57 AM
This is just one of the reasons I do not bother to enter the not so wonderful world of Wallmart.

jtk

Aww, come one, you haven't lived till you've navigated Walmart when the weekend/first of the month fall together. :eek: The wife and I prefer Martin's for groceries, and Target beyond that.

Kevin W Johnson
05-31-2012, 2:58 AM
I went to the wonderful world of Walmart to pick up 2 prescriptions that were called in. I had a price page from another pharmacy that is just across the street and asked if they would price match. they said that they do and when I showed them the prices they said it was below their cost and no they would not price match. Then they come out with my scripts and one only has 3 pills out of 90 they want me to come back in a couple of days and get the rest. So they don't price match and they want me to send more money and time to get something that they advertise and don't come through.

That didn't stop them years ago when they were sued for predatory pricing. They were selling OTC items below cost in order to run others out of business.

Ted Pitera
05-31-2012, 7:55 AM
The Walmart pharmacy is designed for two things: 1. get more people into the store; 2. Keep people in the store longer.

We used to use Walmart for our Rx's because it was on the way home from the doctor's office. The last time I used them they gave me a 40 minute wait to fill the Rx, then they added 20 minutes, then another 20 minutes. At that point I asked for my prescriptions back and they again said wait because they could count the pills in a few minutes! I had to explain that I didn't want the pills just my paperwork.

We use an independent pharmacy that recently opened and refills via an online form. Only wait is for the check out.

Matt Meiser
05-31-2012, 8:27 AM
Both Kroger and Walgreens have an automated phone system for refills. Those are the only two I've used in recent history but I'd guess others do as well. They are good about having them ready to go when you arrive and even give you the option of having them contact the doctor if needed for authorization for additional refills.

Kroger gives us the $4/30 or $10/90 pricing on prescriptions or charges our insurance as appropriate for the situation. The only thing I don't like about the pharmacy at our particular Kroger is having to go traipsing through the store if I just need to pick up a prescription, but they started construction on a major expansion that solves that problem a couple weeks ago. Of course the expansion also includes a Starbucks so now I'll WANT to go in the store. :D

John Coloccia
05-31-2012, 8:34 AM
Well, you should file a complaint with your state's Attorney General office since their price match policy is advertised online. Once they do that, they HAVE to price match whether they loose money or not so long as you follow their rules (which you did). So file that complaint if you're really upset.

But there's no surprise here. The headline would read, "Large Corporation With History of Lying to Consumers, Lies to Consumer". I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart since their "Made In USA" scam, and doubt I ever will again.

Myk Rian
05-31-2012, 8:40 AM
CVS pharmacy is where we go. Always have, always will.
Drop off a script, and pick it up when I say I'll be back.
Never took more than 15 minutes if I walk in and wait for it.

Van Huskey
05-31-2012, 4:12 PM

EXACTLY! I have gone back to Mom and Pop's since I like to give them a chance but not for a faceless corporation.

Although, I have only had one script filled in the last 20 years or so my wife uses Target and really likes it, they even have cool bottles, designed by a designer... makes a difference to my wife apparently.

Dave Lehnert
05-31-2012, 4:55 PM
I'm surprised there is a pharmacy that advertised prescription prices.

Matt Meiser
05-31-2012, 9:23 PM
Aren't they required to provide them?I'd consider an independent pharmacy, but they close at 5 or 6 on weekdays. They are open part of the day on Saturday. They are closed Sundays. Guess they didn't learn from the 8-5 M-F lumber yard that went out of business. Guess that was Lowes fault.

Mike Cutler
05-31-2012, 9:34 PM

Matt

I don't do it either, It's generally not worth the effort.
Last time I bought a car it was the same tactic. I told the guy you have one chance to sell me a car, and it's right now. Convince me it's not worth my effort to shop around.
I guess that's why I live in Ct and have bought my las 2 cars in Pittsburgh, and my truck in Vermont. They just weren't convincing:eek:
The one that really threw me for a loop was Best Buy. The store, brick and mortar, wouldn't match their own online price.:confused:

Kevin W Johnson
05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Matt

I don't do it either, It's generally not worth the effort.
Last time I bought a car it was the same tactic. I told the guy you have one chance to sell me a car, and it's right now. Convince me it's not worth my effort to shop around.
I guess that's why I live in Ct and have bought my las 2 cars in Pittsburgh, and my truck in Vermont. They just weren't convincing:eek:
The one that really threw me for a loop was Best Buy. The store, brick and mortar, wouldn't match their own online price.:confused:

You have to watch and make sure it was actually a price on a Best Buy item, and not a "market" item. A market seller wouoldn't be considered a local retailer, and wouldn't fall under price match policy. I was behind a guy the other day trying to return an item he bought from the Best Buy website. However he bought a market item that actually came from Buy.com. He couldn't seem to understand that he couldn't return it to Best Buy. His packing slip/invoice even had BUY.COM in very large print on it.

I don't buy much at all from Best Buy, but the one item in which I had them price match their own website, I didn't have any problems. But it was a Best Buy item on their website, and not a market item.

Mike Cutler
06-01-2012, 6:42 PM
Kevin

It was definitely Best Buy versus Best Buy online, it even had the same SKU. I used their computers to do the price search.
I don't buy much in their stores either. As it turns out, the dryer I was trying to get them to match their own price on, I ended up buying for $500.00 less a week later.

Bill Cunningham
06-01-2012, 9:07 PM
The price matchers don't bother me as much as the ones that treat you like a outright moron by advertising:
"If we can't beat their price we'll give it to you for free"...:cool:

Kevin W Johnson
06-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Kevin

It was definitely Best Buy versus Best Buy online, it even had the same SKU. I used their computers to do the price search.
I don't buy much in their stores either. As it turns out, the dryer I was trying to get them to match their own price on, I ended up buying for $500.00 less a week later.

Hey, they did you a favor then. :D

As a company, they will go by the way of Dodo bird eventually if they don't soon learn how to operate. They are headed down the same path as Circuit City. Sometimes I wonder if they didn't hire some of CC's upper management after CC went under.

Both seem/seemed more interested in lobotomized customers with loose wallets, than anything else. Some of the things I here sales people tell customers.....

Kevin Gregoire
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
i have a huge love/hate relationship with walmart pharmacy!

they have such fantastic prices on meds and my copay is so cheap with them
but it really tics me off how long i have to wait sometimes. it is so stupid i
just cant figure it out?
nobody is at the counter waiting so im the only one in line but they fill whatever
they have before doing mine or whatever is crazy!

i should check out hyvee pharmacy and see how they do as they have the same
deals as walmart i think and see how long it takes to fill meds with them?