PDA

View Full Version : Finished curio w/ pics.

Rob Wong
05-30-2012, 3:55 AM
First, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me answer my numerous questions as I started this project. My wife wanted a curio for her Asian doll collection so I looked for plans but didn't see anything I wanted so I made my own simple design. It is a little over 6 feet tall and the sides are 17". The only thing I didn't like about it at the end is that I didn't have more space where she wanted it. So I am not happy about the right side coming flush with the existing molding. But that is all the space that I had. Ideally I would like a little wall showing through before the sliding door molding. But it would be too small so I had no choice.

I went with 2 different types of wood, one dark and the other light for the good contrast. Also so that it would match my cabinets and dining table. The woods are curly Maple with curly Koa and also Koa ply. The lights are LED so they won't come too hot and are energy wise.

The first picture is of the scale model I constructed first to get the right dimensions and the last one shows how it looks in the dining area.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

Don Jarvie
05-30-2012, 1:21 PM
Nice looking cabinet. What are the 2 woods and can yougive a little more info on the scale model you used? It looks like you used the same wood for the model.

Jim Rimmer
05-30-2012, 1:28 PM
Great looking cabinet. Nice work.

Jeff Monson
05-30-2012, 3:59 PM
Very nice, the contrasting wood is nice as well as the design. Well done!

Shawn Pixley
05-30-2012, 9:52 PM
Very nice cabinet Rob!

Rob Wong
05-31-2012, 2:04 AM
Nice looking cabinet. What are the 2 woods and can yougive a little more info on the scale model you used? It looks like you used the same wood for the model.

The 2 woods are curly koa and curly maple.

The scale model is 1/6th scale and was made from balsa and koa veneer. It was my 2nd one as the first looked a little too big.

thanks for looking.

Rob

Gordon Eyre
06-01-2012, 2:07 PM
Very nice work. Where did you get the curly maple from. I have been looking for a few boards but live in an area where it is impossible to find.

Rob Wong
06-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Very nice work. Where did you get the curly maple from. I have been looking for a few boards but live in an area where it is impossible to find.

Thanks Gordon, I got the curly maple locally here in Hawaii. Lucky I guess.

Rob