PDA

View Full Version : So, I submitted this table for school fundraiser...

Hunter Wallace
04-02-2005, 8:15 PM
...and it fetched $450!!! It kinda surprised me! I put it together
with some leftover walnut & birdseye I had in my shop. I think it's
going to be very happy in the home of such a generous member of
the community.;)

Michael Pfau
04-02-2005, 8:47 PM
Very nice table, looks good...and to a good cause!

Jason Tuinstra
04-02-2005, 9:08 PM
Surprised? I'm not. That's a great looking table. Being constructed out of walnut and bird's eye, it should fetch at least this much, IMHO. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's very nice.

Per Swenson
04-02-2005, 9:09 PM
Very nice work, I admire a man who does work for charity.
Something to consider though, a little further south.
In a shop in the tri-state area. That gem would retail
from $1500. Really.
Per

Doug Shepard
04-02-2005, 9:18 PM
Very nice! The new owners are probably bragging to all their freinds about how they only paid $450 for it.

Curt Harms
04-02-2005, 9:25 PM
Very nice! The new owners are probably bragging to all their freinds about how they only paid $450 for it.

Yup ;) That is one nice table.

Ted Shrader
04-02-2005, 9:34 PM
In a shop in the tri-state area. That gem would retail from $1500. Really.
Very nice! The new owners are probably bragging to all their friends about how they only paid $450 for it.
Hunter -

A very nice piece. Definitely something for you to be proud of.

A good deal to me is when the buyer is happy and the seller is happy. You should be very satisfied doing good work like that for charity. (Look for a tax deduction at the sales price.) And the folks that bought it are happy with the handcrafted piece they have for a fair price.

Well done,
Ted

Todd Burch
04-02-2005, 9:51 PM
$450? Man, that's a DEAL!!! Looks Great!! I like the shape of the inlay. I'm guessing that's (the inlay) all hand work?

John Weber
04-02-2005, 9:57 PM
Hunter,

Beautiful table and wonderful donation.

John

John Miliunas
04-02-2005, 9:59 PM
Hunter, that's a beautiful piece, with great detail and a super design! To top it all off, you've helped make life a bit better for the students and recipient of that wonderful table, who obviously has good taste!:) Well done!:cool:

Jim Becker
04-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Like Jason, I'm not surprised that it sold as it did. Excellent work...and worth every penny.

Warren White
04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Hunter,
That is an absolutely beautiful table, and you are to be congratulated for both your craftsmanship and your generosity in donating it.

Well done!
Warren White

Hunter Wallace
04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the responses guys...I was HOPING it would go for more
than it did, but, being a bit of a realist I'm quite happy with the price
it garnered. I almost hate to admit that the donation was 1/2
philanthropic, 1/2 community oriented and 1/2 PROMOTIONAL:p

Todd - the inlay is (mostly) hand work. I routed out the rough
shape of the inlay, cleaned it up by hand, routed out the majority
of the negative with a router and cleaned up the edges with chisels.
This was the first project I've done where sandpaper was used
only to ease sharp edges, the rest was hand planed straight to
finish. Thank the heavens for Tom Lie-Nielsen;)

...now we'll see if the furniture-wanting-fish are willing to take my bait

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 1:06 AM
Wow... beautiful table. Worth much more as the rest have said.

Corey

Mark Singer
04-03-2005, 1:09 AM
Hunter,
It would have brought a higher price here too...beautiful work

Jonathan Szczepanski
04-03-2005, 1:20 AM
Hunter -

$450 was a steal! Nice job.

This reminds me of something I once read in a woodworking book - for the life of me I can't remember which one now though.

The author said that he tries to make at least two of whatever piece he was making at the time. He does this for a couple of reasons.
1. It is easier to make multiples at the same time. Less setup time and so forth.
2. He would donate the second piece to a charity as a gift or for them to auction off.

I thought it was a good idea and something I am going to try and practice. Does anyone else do the same thing?

Dan Forman
04-03-2005, 7:22 AM
elegant design, beautiful woods, lovely piece.

Dan

John Hart
04-03-2005, 8:20 AM
Jonathan,

Most of my pieces start out as charity, and invariably, other people ask where they can buy the pieces that I donate. I'm never have a shortage of buyers..just a shortage of time.

Hunter,
Beautiful work and I admire what you did with it. School fundraisers are a great cause. Your table is easily worth double...but then, that's what you got...double.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-03-2005, 8:34 AM
Beautiful table! I'm surprised it didn't bring more.

John Renzetti
04-03-2005, 8:45 AM
That is a very nice table. The buyer got a real good deal. The price should have been about 3 times that at least.
Next time I'm going to throw away some leftover pieces I'm going to think of your table.
take care,
John

Jeff Sudmeier
04-03-2005, 9:24 AM
THis is really a great story. The money went to a good cause and it was no small sum. The new owner got a good deal. Great job on the table!

Bob Atchison
04-03-2005, 9:38 AM
A steal at $450!

Tom Pritchard
04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Hunter, that is a BEAUTIFUL table! I'm surprised they didn't get twice as much for it at the auction! I can only dream of making a table like that someday, so until then I will depend on craftsmen like you to put these pictures here for inspiration! A very beatiful gesture on your part too in donating it to those who need our help.

Jim W. White
04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Hunter,

I think the winner of that auction will be bragging about "the score" they made to their friends for months on end!! I hope it generates some business for you.

Beautiful contrast between the maple and the walnut!

...Jim in Idaho

Lou Morrissette
04-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Hunter,

Beautiful work. You made some people very happy with that kind of craftsmanship.

Lou

scott spencer
04-04-2005, 7:40 AM
That's gorgeous Hunter! ....trying to make the rest of us feel bad?! :D