PDA

View Full Version : Lasermag

Jim Reinhard
05-29-2012, 6:17 PM
Has anyone cut and engraved romark lasermag.I have someone that wants 1200 magnets cut and engraved about 3"x3".I called and ordered a sample to try.

Joe Pelonio
05-29-2012, 9:18 PM
I have, but don't expect them to hold onto a car, or a textured refrigerator. I found the magnetic hold to be very weak. Also, you will want to stick it onto a piece of sheet metal to keep it flat or will have focus problems when it warps from the heat of engraving.

Mike Null
05-30-2012, 5:23 AM
It's been some time since I attempted to cut magnetic material and the reason is that I found it to be excessively dirty.

Keith Outten
05-30-2012, 7:48 AM
I purchase magnetic rubber by the roll and find it useful for many many projects. Lately we have been putting stickers on the rubber and then cutting it to fit the sticker profile so we don't have to place stickers directly on car bumpers or on the paint. I also find this particular material to be useful on my laser bed for holding thin material down and to block glass pieces so they won't slide.

Combining laser engraving and vinyl on magnetic rubber provides some color for various jobs and I have used laser lights stuck to magnetic rubber to add color as well.

Magnetic Rubber is definitely a dirty material to work with and clean up adds time to the job that forces the cost up. A small pressure washer works pretty good for removing the bulk of the burned edges.

Joe Pelonio
05-30-2012, 9:52 PM
Remember too, depending on what they will do with them, I have seen many a car paint job ruined by magnetic signs. They really do have to take them off, wash behind them on the car and the back of the magnet weekly or it will glue itself on with dirt and take the paint off when removed.

Jim Reinhard
05-30-2012, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback . These will be for frige magnets for a what to do list.Adding color to them would probably be nice .Not sure how I would do that though.

Craig Matheny
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Remember too, depending on what they will do with them, I have seen many a car paint job ruined by magnetic signs. They really do have to take them off, wash behind them on the car and the back of the magnet weekly or it will glue itself on with dirt and take the paint off when removed.

Joe my soon put a TAZ magnet on his hood years ago can't get it off it is now a hood ornament :D

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2012, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback . These will be for frige magnets for a what to do list.Adding color to them would probably be nice .Not sure how I would do that though.

There are dozens of companies that will print better magnets and cut them to any shape you need, and do it far cheaper than you can do it on the laser.. The laser mag might be good for a few prototypes, but certainly not for a 1200 piece run..Digital full colour is dirt cheap compared to a few years ago..

Gary Gunderson
06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I have worked with the lasermag before. I have a few notes:

- When you engrave, a lot of the black core residue comes up and can make quite a mess. So, you may want to mask the material first.

- However, I have also found that the material seems to "age" really quickly making the thin top layer fragile. So, if you do mask it, you may want to use a very light mask as it may pull up the top layer in older material if the material has been sitting around a long time or if the mask is really sticky.