PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Jig upgrade

Lee Ludden
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Bessy has a relatively new self-adjusting version of the standard hold down toggles (see PDF (http://www.bessey.de/pdfs/press_releases/BESSEY__New2011April__ToggleClamps_STC.pdf)). I used one of the push style versions to upgrade my Kreg Jig so I don't have to adjust it for each board thickness. I saw this tip on a video at PeachTree a few weeks ago when they had these toggles on sale, and I ordered one just to make this modification. It works great. I had no slippage in either 3/4" or 1/2" stock, and very smooth action.

My jig is one of the older ones that doesn't have a solid base, so I had to build a little platform from some scraps of 3/4" baltic birch to mount it on. I made it narrow enough that I can still use the sides of the jog for depth collar registration.

Kevin Gregoire
05-29-2012, 1:05 PM
lee, it looks good and probably wont be to long before kreg starts using that toggle themselves!
i also love your dust extractor mount you made for the adaptor, looks real good!

frank shic
05-29-2012, 1:23 PM
brilliant idea! loosening the screws and adjusting the clamp is a nuisance...

Van Huskey
05-29-2012, 4:23 PM
I have one of the hold down Besseys and like it. May have to see what I could do for my K3.

Tom Willoughby
05-30-2012, 1:16 PM
Great idea. This past weekend, I built a copy-cat Kreg clamp table with the Bessy clamps and Rockler multi track. I haven't used it yet but I like the idea that you don't have to adjust the Bessy clamp for different thickness of wood.