PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy WTF

Brian Brown
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
So I keep hearing about General Finishes wood turners finish, but where exactly does one buy it? CSUSA doesn't carry it, and I can't find it locally. I also can't seem to find much information about it, except that is seems that most people like it. Wally D's thread has me wondering even more if it might be a better solution to finishing (it's only 69* here Wally:D). I heard that it turns most wood a deep amber color. Is there a version that doesn't change the color so much? Any other thoughts pro or con?

Steve Busey
05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I picked up a pint at Highland Woodworking. It's on the Rockler and Woodcraft sites, too

Wally Dickerman
05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi Brian...I got mine through Amazon. It doesn't seem to me that I'm getting as much amber coloring as I do when I finish with my usual Daly's tung oil finish.

With our 100 deg temps I'm going to do the rest of my piece in early morning when my shop is in the 70's.

I'm not convinced that Gen. WT's finish is going to replace my regular finish.

Respect your elders

Robert Henrickson
05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I get a slight amber cast, but not much.

John Aspinall
05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
My local Woodcraft had "sample size" bottles for folks wanting to give it an inexpensive try.
(Bought one, haven't used it yet.)

Dennis Ford
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I ordered some from Klingspor, tried it a couple of days ago. Have only used it once so far but like it. The finish is more amber than lacquer but less so than oil based finishes.

David DeCristoforo
05-29-2012, 1:08 PM
"...Woodcraft had "sample size" bottles..."

2oz for $6.99... I plan to pick one up next time I'm "over in Sacramento". I gotta try this stuff!

Roger Chandler
05-29-2012, 2:11 PM
Very little amber coloring with WTF...........it is almost clear.............on Ash, I would like to have a bit more ambering, but for everything else, I like it just fine. I like to put a seal coat of shellac underneath WTF on bare wood to pop the grain first....a heavy coat, then when dry sand back with about 600 grit, then re-apply..........works like a charm.

Woodcraft does carry it..........I buy from my local club which got a case or two for our turners directly from General Finishes.

Brian Brown
05-29-2012, 2:50 PM
My interpretation of deep amber came from a forum post (different forum) from somebody that used it, and this off the GF website "It produces a rich amber tone and dries to recoat in minutes". I like that it doesn't change the color too much. I saw the price at Woodcraft, and hope it's good stuff at almost $30.00/qt. I wonder if it would be better to buy in smaller quantities, where it dries so fast. When something dries that fast, it seems that you can lose a lot in the can. For those that use shellac as an undercoat, do you mix your own flakes, or use something like Zinzers de-waxed shellac?. How long does the shellac have to dry before coating with WTF?

Prashun Patel
05-29-2012, 3:35 PM
I seal most everything besides an oil type finish with shellac.

Nowadays I mostly use Zinsser's Sealcoat. It's quick, cheap, and premixed. I buy it by the gallon and use it like water.

However, note that it does have a slightly amber cast (a little north of BLO). If I want to keep something close to white, I use superblonde or platina shellac, mixed from flakes. If I want it dark, I mix my own garnet shellac from flakes.

When used as under/sealing coat like this, I see no issue with Sealcoat.

Shellac dries extremely fast. I typically lay on 2 coats with a shop towel or until I start seeing hints of lap marks. I don't wait more than 5-10 minutes between coats. Then I wetsand down with 320 or 400 or 220 and mineral spirits about 30 mins later. Wipe down, let the MS evaporate, then top coat. Works for me.