View Full Version : Water Pressure regulator for drip irrigation....

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2012, 8:23 AM
Good Morning,
The LOML and I have installed a drip irrigation setup for 2 flower beds and 1 of our small garden spots. The kit we purchased a while back came with a pressure regulator and my problem with it...is that is "sings" when the timer kicks on and drives me crazy until I removed it from the setup. Now the timer won't shut off the water and it sings and rattles until the LOML or I go out there and shut the water off at the spigot.

I guess I have higher water pressure on the house but it shouldn't be as I had our local plumber come out and replace the bad pressure regulator on our city water supply to our house. Maybe they didn't set the pressure right or something. Now I need to get a pressure gauge and see what my water pressure is at the faucet. Any recommendations on a decent (but not expensive) pressure gauge?

If you've setup a drip irrigation system at your house....I'd like to here about what you did and how well it's working for you.

Any help, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Myk Rian
05-29-2012, 8:39 AM
You didn't say what kit you bought, but when we go on vacation, I setup an Orbit timer to the spigot. A soaker hose works great. HD sells the Orbit timers. Our well has a max of 60 psi.

A gauge cobbled to a few fittings and a hose should be able to read your pressure.

Greg R Bradley
05-29-2012, 9:27 AM
Any hardware store or BORG will have a pressure guage that threads onto a hose faucet. They are less than $10. Most pressure regulators for a house come pre-set for 50 psi. The house plumbing will probably work well with anything from 30-70psi.

Dan Friedrichs
05-29-2012, 9:27 AM
Home Depot has a spigot-mount gauge for, like, $6.

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I have a nice Orbit timer in the system. It has a max incoming pressure of 100 psi. The Rain Byrd kit I bought came with an inline pressure regulator and all it does is SCREAM with vibration and rattles my plumbing in the house. I will go by the Lowes today and find/purchase a water pressure gauge.

Rod Sheridan
05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Dennis, I have a drip system and my flow regulator is a steel disc (knockout from a 1/2" electrical box) with a 1/16" hole I drilled in it.

It's sandwiched in the female end of the garden hose where it attaches to the faucet.

It's silent and works great, I have another one for more flow in a different area with 3 holes drilled in it...............Rod.

P.S. I had to make washers from old bicycle tubes to fit two washers and a slug in the hose end........Rod.

Steve Peterson
05-29-2012, 2:18 PM
I had a system like that many years ago. The pipe would vibrate and "sing" through the entire house. I solved the issue by adding a short hose between the faucet and the regulator/valve. This isolated the vibration so it was no longer a problem.