PDA

View Full Version : Kathy's Carob

Baxter Smith
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
After receiving several beautiful gifts from a lady I met online, I knew I needed to do something special for my wifes birthday on Wednesday. After dropping her rolling pin and breaking one of the handles a couple of weeks ago, I knew just what she needed!;):)
Looking for a suitable piece of dry wood this morning, I came up with a piece of cherry or a piece of rock maple that my uncle had split out from firewood quite a few years ago. The maple would have been a tougher and more durable choice, but I opted for the cherry… in case she comes after me with it! :eek:
Nothing fancy but it should get the job done.
With that out of the way, I could focus on what I was going to do with Kathy Marshall’s carob. Although I was tempted to core another set of thin bowls, I opted to try something a little different since I wasn’t sure how deep the knot at lower left would go.
Decided to take off the top and try to get two large shallow bowls one to turn thin and the other to be returned.
Cored the top section a second time,
then turned a thin bowl with a slight ogee and foot.
From left to right
8 x 1 x 3/32: Bush Oil
11 ¾ x 2 x ¼: Walnut Oil
11 ¾ x 2 ¾ x 1 ¼: Anchor Seal
Kathy said they will move a bit so I tried to leave enough of a foot to be able to just flatten the bottoms on a sheet of sandpaper.
Kathy, the carob was great to turn and it is very pretty. Never thought I would be envious of Arizona wood, but you have sent me some great stuff! Thank you!!
Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Nice work on the rolling pin!! I am sure she will love the gift! Bowls look great! Love all that grain!!

Michelle Rich
05-29-2012, 6:11 AM
they look super Baxter..that carob is very pretty..

John Keeton
05-29-2012, 6:41 AM
Baxter, you worked late into the nite on these projects! Love the look of the carob. You did nice work on all of these - and, the rolling pin!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-29-2012, 7:05 AM
Bax,
Wonderful set of bowls. You just taught me a trick I never would have thought of; you used the big knife and slipped it in from the side of the blank to make shallow bowls. Talk about thinking out of the box, great trick. My wife has a marble rolling pin. I stay well behaved.
faust

Baxter Smith
05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the comments. The carob certainly has some beautiful grain and color! Turned a little easier than all the osage I have been going through lately as well!
Faust, I have used the #4 knife in a similar fashion several times. It was my attempt to approach the versatility of the Mcnaughton in a small way. I have toyed with the idea of trying to make something with even less of a curve or none at all that I might be able to use in a similar fashion.

Kathy Marshall
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Nice job on all of them Baxter! I'm sure your wife will love the rolling pin and if she ever comes after you with it, what better complement than to be smacked with something made with your own 2 hands! :D
The bowls look great and what a cool idea to get to big bowls from 1 blank!