PDA

View Full Version : gloat-worthy? I think so...

Lee Alkureishi
05-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I picked this up from craigslist today, for the princely sum of $50. It's a17" bandsaw with a 12" resaw capacity, and it seems to work great so far.

The saw looks shop-made, but it's very sturdy and the blade runs very true. I'm particular, the guide bearings seem very high quality but not anything I'm familiar with.

Other than the markings on the bearings and the Sears brand on the motor, there are no markings anywhere on the saw.

If anyone can give some advice about this type of saw, what to look out for etc, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lee

Van Huskey
05-29-2012, 4:41 AM
I think what you have is "home-made" saw using some commercial components. The guides are interesting, that is one guide I have never seen before but they have quality bearings in them. I would be intersted in seeing pictures with the wheel guards open.

Again I am 90% sure it is not a commercial built machine. Do the wheels actually measure out at 17"?

Lee Alkureishi
05-29-2012, 8:00 AM
Hi VH, that's what the guy I bought from thought too. Can't measure the wheels till later today, but meantime here are a couple more pictures.

Thanks,

Lee

Dennis Ford
05-29-2012, 8:02 AM
Definitely "Gloat worthy". It does look home-made and I like that.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2012, 9:15 AM
You'll have to let us know how well it preforms when you start cutting up bowl blanks!

Lee Alkureishi
05-29-2012, 9:28 AM
Absolutely! That's on my to-do list for tonight :)

Van, I measured the wheels before I left for work. They're a bit more than 17" - closer to 17 1/2, not quite 18". Couldn't get an accurate measurement, as the wheel mount was in the way. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Jim Underwood
05-29-2012, 9:31 AM
Nice. Looks to be a sturdy build of good capacity.

I only know of two "build it yourself" bandsaw sources... One is a book from Lyndsay Publications, and the other is a place that makes aluminum castings for several machine builds (including lathes- which is why I know about them).

Baxter Smith
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
If you can cut bowl blanks with a good blade you can't beat the price!

Prashun Patel
05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
My turning enjoyment went up an order of magnitude as soon as I got a big bandsaw capable of cutting thick stuff close to round for me. Yr gonna love it too.
Wld love to see some blanks that you cut.

Lee Alkureishi
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
My turning enjoyment went up an order of magnitude as soon as I got a big bandsaw capable of cutting thick stuff close to round for me.

Prashun,
that's what I'm counting on! Along with my DC motor lathe upgrade (allowing a much slower starting speed), I think it's going to make life much more pleasant!

Now, when is that drive belt going to get here!!!

Lee

Jamie Donaldson
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Looks like a nicely thought out and built design, that would be quite practical for use a a blank maker. The guides limit the minimum size blades that could be used, and you will need to have a blade length for a replacement when that time comes. Its always been interesting to me that some folks would spend the time and effort to build something that could be bought, but the build becomes a significant part of the enjoyment of using such a tool.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Great gloat on what looks to be a nice saw.

Michael Menzli
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Looks great.. I would go ahead an measure the blade length some how to scout for replacements. Hopefully this is a generic size you can source locally. Cant beat the price for sure.

tom martin
05-29-2012, 1:16 PM
That's a great gloat! I would want to build a cover over the belt and pulleys as a first bandsaw project though.
Tom

Van Huskey
05-29-2012, 1:46 PM
Looks great.. I would go ahead an measure the blade length some how to scout for replacements. Hopefully this is a generic size you can source locally. Cant beat the price for sure.

Blade length should never be an issue, my rule is "if you are buying prepacked blades you are paying too much". Most areas will have at least 1 industrial supply that cuts and welds blades but failing that there are obviously many places that ship.

Van Huskey
05-29-2012, 1:54 PM
Lee, are the wheels wooded? From what I can see it actually looks pretty well thought out, though a little over thought out in places... I really am intrigued by the guides. The thrust mechanism is built into the left guide bushing, this is a new on on me, and the curved mount is interesting. Do you have independent control of the left bushings front to rear movement (to adjust the thrust surface)? This guide does effectively limit the size of the blade. I really wish I knew what those guides were off of!

All in all a neat saw, and I think a gloat, YOU SUCK!

Lee Alkureishi
05-29-2012, 3:25 PM
Van, yes the wheels are wooded, with what looks like a bike tire around them.

I'm not sure about the guide bushing adjustment, but will take a look later tonight. I'm also interested to figure out what they came from!

A quick google search turned this up:

http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/FAFNIR%20BEARING/KP4

Not sure how much that helps, other than to say that they're not made anymore...

I'm not too worried about the limits on blade size - I don't think I'll be doing too much fine cutting on this badboy - I'll stick a 1/4" blade on my craftsman for that. This big bugger will keep a 1/2" or 3/4" 3tpi blade on it for cutting bowl blanks and similar...

Thanks for the tip about the bandsaw blades - probably saved me a good bit of hunting around :)

Lee

Van Huskey
05-29-2012, 3:49 PM
Fafnir are good bearings, I think I may have mentioned that. The guides have me stumped, they are cool looking and the semi-circle on the back looks to be adjustable but I can't quite picture what/how they adjust. Now I haven't seen every BS guide (OBVIOUSLY) but I thought I had seen pretty much every woodworking BS guide OR at least all the general types. This makes me wonder if it was from a metal working bandsaw, which I am far less familiar with. In any event they look like they will work fine within their width limits.

As I said before it looks resonable well thought out (though the power transmission looks a little Rube Goldberg-esque). Cool saw, if that had come up local here I probably would have bought it just for the fun of it.