PDA

View Full Version : OK - no laughing guys!

Fred Voorhees
04-02-2005, 6:52 PM
Well, in my continuing quest to knock out the few "small things" that need to be done in my new bar room, I used many hours today in sewing - yes I said sewing - up the covers for the seat cushions for the window seats.

Now, I am no Betsy Ross for sure, but a few months ago when I investigated how much it would cost me to have someone make the seat cushions for me - well - I knew right away that I was going to attempt them myself. The truth - I was quoted by a few sources that it would cost me roughly seven or eight hundred dollars to have two custom made cushions of these sizes. I was not going to spend that kind of money on the things if I had a shot at doing them myself. Afterall, I had made a cushion for a window seat in the past for our guest bedroom and that turned out ok, so I thought I would give it a shot again.

Below you can see me at work at the sewing machine and the two other pics are of the final results after what turned out to be maybe seven hours of work. It sure is a bit different than woodworking.

You might also notice in one photo, my new Widdy dart board. It's another of those little things that still need to be done. I have a custom cabinet in the works to enclose the board for hanging on the wall just above where it sits on the floor.

John Hart
04-02-2005, 7:36 PM
Ha ha ha ha ho ho...way to go Fredricka! Just kidding. I found out a long time ago that buying a sewing machine was not only going to save me millions but also allowed me to expand the scope of my projects. We just recently bought a computerized embroidery machine to do hats, cushions, etc. You've done well Betsy.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2005, 8:26 PM
Nice cushions Fred! From start to finish....you now have ALL the skills!

Ted Shrader
04-02-2005, 9:37 PM
Fred -

Looks great. Finished out and $$$ still in the wallet.

I really like the frilly flannel shirt! :) :D :)

Ted

John Miliunas
04-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Don't look now, but the next thing you know, he'll be knitting "sleeves" for all of his pool cues!:eek: Seriously though, I'm glad you weren't wearing your skirt when that first pic was taken! My FIL, may he RIP, had a nice industrial-strength sewing machine, which his wife was NOT allowed to touch, for doing similar things, though he mainly worked it in for his old car restores. Actually, you're lucky to have the skills necessary to do that. Saved a lot of $$ and I'll bet a whole lot of time from what it would've taken to order them. Good job!:) :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
04-02-2005, 11:15 PM
.... Nice work Fred. Nice and neat looking ;).

.... Way-to-go.

Boyd

Well, in my continuing quest to knock out the few "small things" that need to be done in my new bar room, I used many hours today in sewing - yes I said sewing - up the covers for the seat cushions for the window seats.

Now, I am no Betsy Ross for sure, but a few months ago when I investigated how much it would cost me to have someone make the seat cushions for me - well - I knew right away that I was going to attempt them myself. The truth - I was quoted by a few sources that it would cost me roughly seven or eight hundred dollars to have two custom made cushions of these sizes. I was not going to spend that kind of money on the things if I had a shot at doing them myself. Afterall, I had made a cushion for a window seat in the past for our guest bedroom and that turned out ok, so I thought I would give it a shot again.

Below you can see me at work at the sewing machine and the two other pics are of the final results after what turned out to be maybe seven hours of work. It sure is a bit different than woodworking.

You might also notice in one photo, my new Widdy dart board. It's another of those little things that still need to be done. I have a custom cabinet in the works to enclose the board for hanging on the wall just above where it sits on the floor.

Jerry Clark
04-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Fred, is that a new tool?? Anyway good job and I admire someone that can do it all! And save $$ too. :D

Jim Becker
04-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey, don't laugh at my friend, Fred!! My mother taught me all that stuff, too...she wanted me to be able to be "self-sufficient" or something like that...which I've had to do from time to time in my life. ;)

Fred...awesome! Even better than I imagined and great colors, too!!!!

Norman Hitt
04-03-2005, 6:15 AM
Hey Fred, You're Gonna make some Lady a Great Wife if you keep adding those skills. :) :)

Seriously, Great job. My wife's Mom never sewed, and My wife proceeded to run a needle through her finger with a sewing machine when she was taking Home Economics in High School, and she hasn't touched a sewing machine since, Sooooooo...., since I used to have a side business doing upholstery while I was in college, I get to do any sewing that is done with a machine around our house, and it really comes in handy some times. A fellow just Cannot have Too many Skills, ............now if I could only refine Gasoline........... :(

Jim Dunn
04-04-2005, 9:09 AM
I tried to buy a sewing machine that would sew 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together. No luck.

John Hart
04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
In a cooperative effort between Craftsman Tools, Singer Sewing Machines, and HI-Catch Fishing Line, Sears would like to introduce -

The Little Princess XP100 Plywood Seamtress!
Only $1299.99

John Miliunas
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
In a cooperative effort between Craftsman Tools, Singer Sewing Machines, and HI-Catch Fishing Line, Sears would like to introduce -

Only $1299.99

Hey, that's awesome! Great price, too! So, is this the final copy or just a prototype? When is production going to get going on it...I want to be the first on my block to have one!:D :cool:

Jim Becker
04-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey, that's kewel...it even hooks up to a lint collection system!!

Ted Shrader
04-04-2005, 11:53 AM
John -

Cooolllll! But is it reversible so you can lock the stitches at the end of a seam?

Ted

Alan Turner
04-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey John,
Great idea. Does that guy do buttonholes? Sig-Zag? Can you lower the upper blade guide and stitch together veneer?

Put me on the short list.

John Hart
04-04-2005, 12:27 PM
So, is this the final copy or just a prototype?
This is the final Beta version. You too can be part of the testing pool. The unit comes with a pair of chainmail gloves and a Liability Release Form.

But is it reversible so you can lock the stitches at the end of a seam?
You can either order the optional reversing footswitch, or just shove the plywood back and forth.

Hey, that's kewel...it even hooks up to a lint collection system!!
Yes..That's Right...and you can also order the optional Ionic Breeze attachment so your Basement, Garage, or Barn can always have that fresh, clean scent!...silently.

Does that guy do buttonholes?
No...But you can attach a Hubcap to your Dining Room Table!

Can you lower the upper blade guide and stitch together veneer?
Yes...but a real man would sew veneer by hand.

David Fried
04-04-2005, 12:49 PM
John -

Cooolllll! But is it reversible so you can lock the stitches at the end of a seam?

Ted

I think you need the MM Serger for that!

Norman Hitt
04-06-2005, 3:44 AM

Only $1299.99

John, I wonder if they are going to add an option to use copper wire for thread, so the Kyak building Guys & Gals can lace their panels together?

John Hart
04-06-2005, 7:13 AM
John, I wonder if they are going to add an option to use copper wire for thread, so the Kyak building Guys & Gals can lace their panels together?
I didn't see that anywhere in the volumes of multi-lingual specifications, but I'll bet that Hi-Catch fishing line provides spools of that deep-sea 1000 lb test stainless steel line. Kyak building could change forever.