PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of tapes to have on hand?

Mark Maslonkowski
05-28-2012, 7:44 PM
Hello All, I have searched the forum and found bits and pieces in different post about the different types of tapes / mask materials that you all use. I currently have a new Epilog Helix 60 watt on order that is due in my shop in two weeks. so I am a newbie trying to do it right the first time. I am located in central Minnesota and am looking for what are the different types of masking materials and tapes that you all keep stocked in your shops and for what purpose. If at all posible please list a supplier so that we all can have a location for purchase. Thank you all in advance.

Just for the record all I ment by do it right the first time was with the purchase of the laser I completely expect lots of trial and error.

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2012, 7:54 PM
Most important is transfer tape, I use the size that fits my material, 12". Then blue and regular masking tape, blue for testing positioning on personalizing items, it engraves white. Double sided tapes. I keep 3m VHB for outdoor mounting and the thicker foam variety, a roll of 1" banner tape, and some 6" and 12" 3M 467MP that can be applied to plastics before cutting.

All of my supplies come from local sign supply, much cheaper to buy wholesale there than to order online and pay for shipping.

Martin Boekers
05-29-2012, 9:43 AM
I use Frog tape alot just like the blue that Joe uses it engraves white so it's easy to see.
Again I agree with Joe, masking is quite a bit cheaper in the sign industry than engraving.
There are many products that transend industries so keep an open mind and research.
The laser industry typically cost more for the same products. Another example, I sell quite
a few pen cases. I get an upright folding case from Penn States Ind, (Pen Turners) they
are quite abit cheaper then engraving vendors and usually have a 10% of sale every couple
months, so check other users out. It's well worth it!

If you let us know where you are located it helps as we can give info maybe in your area.
Also add the equipment you use to your signature block as this helps with providing
more pertinant info to you.