04-02-2005, 6:39 PM
Hi folks,

You can help me out with your ideas and experience
here. The last bar,all of the case work, walls and trim
I finished by hand. (We are going to stick with the formula
for the top though.) This was not profitable and extremely
time consuming. So we have made a appointment to visit
Target coatings in Rutherford NJ. This is where we purchased
the menzerna polish. http://www.targetcoatings.com/.
I had my mind made up to buy a Q4 fuji spray system.
Then came indecision, conversion gun etc. Yes I have compressors,
6 of them actually but I do not have a fondness for transporting them
or listening to them. (the fuji is super quiet) 70% of the finish will be
applied on the job. So here is the deal, when I get to Target coatings
They are going to want to sell me one of their conversion guns.
It is going to be decision time. All feed back is greatly appreciated.

Michael Perata
04-02-2005, 7:49 PM
Go with a really good conversion gun. My shop compressor is outside so I don't have a noise problem. You may have CFM problems with a jobsite compressor and conversion gun.

I've read elsewhere that the turbine guns have problems with the heated air, and the more stages, the more heat.

But, like you said, the turbines are more portable.

Ian Barley
04-03-2005, 4:23 AM
I purchased the Fuji Q4 at the end of last year and used it on an order for a cruise company of 14 painted chairs.

It was possibly the best value for money that I got on any tool purchase that year. It paid for itself very comfortably on that one job in terms of time saved and the finish achieved.

I have never been confident with spraying because any error could have been the fault of several different parts of the chain. With the Fuji I felt that all I had to get right was the consistency off the material because everything else was designed as a package. In the end this was true and getting the viscosity right was easy.

The instructions are excellent and the unit is pleasantly quiet in operation. The only thing I intend to do this year is to buy the optional whip hose extension because after a couple of days of spraying the standard hose can be a bit heavy.

In short this is a tool I would buy again in a heartbeat and that, in my situation, has paid for itself already.

John Renzetti
04-03-2005, 9:24 AM
Hi Per, Get yourself a top quality HVLP system. I have an older Fuji which is great. The new 3 and 4 stages are excellent. The 4 stage will come in handy for shooting heavier paints. Also take a look at the equipment by Accuspray, Binks, Sata. It sounds like you live close by Philadelphia in NJ. If so there is an industrial show, the Mid Atlantic Industrial Woodworking Expo on 14-15 April at the Ft Washington Center. They'll have all the manufacturers there and you'll be able to see and feel the various products.
Also with some of these setups the more expensive units will run the high capacity pressure pots, and several guns at once.
take care,
John

John Lucas
04-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Per,
I think you are doing right by going to Target for their advise. I am a Menzerna advocate and also like the Target finishs. Jeff knows his stuff and I think can be heloful in giving you the right direction. I use a conversion gun and a turbine (Apollo 800). It depends on how much I will be spraying

Jim Becker
04-03-2005, 5:21 PM
Per, I have a review of the Wagner HVLP conversion gun on my site. It sprays the Target Coatings products beautifully...

I agree with John, Jeff Weiss is a really nice fellow to do business with and does know what's going on in finishing.