PDA

View Full Version : Honda Mower Starts, but runs slowly and stalls if you gun it SOLVED Mud daubers buil

James Jackson
05-28-2012, 3:59 PM
Honda Mower Starts, but runs slowly and stalls if you gun it SOLVED Mud daubers built a nest in the muffler

I am posting this so the net search engines can find it and make it available for others to save time on figuring this problem out.

This involves a Cub Cadet self propelled mower that we have had for the last four years. Which has served us well, and is equipped with a Honda engine (GCV160 GCV190) until last weekend.

Engine starts, idles roughly, stalls when you give it the gas.

Not a bent flywheel key.

Not a Fouled Spark-plug

Not a dirty carburettor.

Not an issue with the valve lashing or timing.

Mud daubers built a nest in the muffler and blocked most of the exhaust, causing the above issues.
The engine could exhale well enough to start, but blocked exhaust prevented flow needed to develop any RPM.

Solution is to breakup the nest with a screwdriver and blow it out with compressed air.

Result is my mower starts on the first pull, of course, it now has all the above done, and six hours of my time.

May you benefit from my experience.

jrj

ray hampton
05-28-2012, 5:12 PM
I hope that nobody need your advice but they possible will wasps being wasps

Rich Engelhardt
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Don't you hate it when things like that happen?

I know they're just dumb bugs doing dumb bug things - but - it galls me no end when they move in and take over like they own the place...

It'd be nice if there was some way to make them get a job and actually have to pay for the places they consider "theirs".