PDA

View Full Version : Finishing wooden ware

Mike Willeson
05-28-2012, 1:25 PM
I am just starting to experiement with finishing spoons and bowls for use using Mahoney's walnut oil.

I made a couple of experimental spoons from ash and walnut and gave them to family to try out and give me some feedback. For both woods, the people said after hand washing it seemed like the wood got fuzzy. They rubbed the fuzzies off and said it seemed ok again, but I have not found out how things looked after the 2nd or 3rd or whatever washings.

It was a while ago but I think I sanded down them down to 220 and then applied the finish. Don't recall to be honest if I used 1 or 2 coats of walnut oil.

Is it normal for wood items to get a little fuzzy after washing? Am I using the wrong kinds of woods? How can I improve my finishning technique?

I appreciate the feedback. I would like to make more utility items but don't want to sour people on wood due to the fuzzies....

Hayes Rutherford
05-28-2012, 3:27 PM
Mike, about all you need to do or can do is wet the wood down, dry it and sand it a couple of times yourself before applying the oil.

Maria Alvarado
05-28-2012, 7:44 PM
+1 to that. Try sanding to 220, wet lightly, let dry completely then sand to 320. Rinse and repeat with 400. You can keep going to 600 (or higher, but I'm not sure it will make a difference), and by then you won't feel the grain raise with further wetting. At that point oil and your spoons should be very smooth and stay that way even after washing.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2012, 9:58 PM
+1 on the above. Any piece I make for home use I sand to 220. I use a spary bottle and spritz the wood. I then sand with 280. I clean it off and spritz again. I then sand with 320. I generally apply 3 coats. Ambient sunlight is what cures mahoney's walnut oil. I have salad bowls, plates, spoons that we use several times a week and have never had the grain raise after washing.

John Altberg
05-29-2012, 9:40 AM
Mike, about all you need to do or can do is wet the wood down, dry it and sand it a couple of times yourself before applying the oil.

Thanks for the tip, Hayes. I put this to use IMMEDIATELY,yesterday, on some muddlers that I had made. Was frustrated with the fuzzies, too. Re-did them all and now they are fine!

John