PDA

View Full Version : Thin Persimmon Bowl

Jeremy Leasure
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
This is my first venture into "thin" territory. It's right at 1/4" thick. The bottom was a close call, really should make a bottom finding jig soon. When I roughed this out it didn't have any worm holes at all, and as I turned it I found a nice live larvae snuggled up inside. I was disappointed but filled the holes with malachite and finished it up anyway. I feel like the foot is too tall, but since I had the close call with the bottom I couldn't shorten it more. It feels really light, so I weighed it at 15 ounces. I think any thinner and lighter and it would start to feel too flimsy.

C&C Welcome.

10.25"x3.25"

http://i.imgur.com/XM66t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wRZ0p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Bmghc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JFfau.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MOuBi.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Jeremy - looks pretty good to me! I am not a big fan of large feet on bowls but if this is to be utilitarian - then it should work just fine!

Highly recommend figuring something out so you can measure where you are at when hollowing bowls! Sure beats turning funnels!!

Marc Himes
05-28-2012, 11:56 AM
It looks like you did well with the thickness and with the surprise inside. I can relate to being concerned about the bottom thickness and agree with Steve's comments.

charlie knighton
05-28-2012, 1:04 PM
very nice form, persimmon i do not turn much of, the one time i did the wood turned black in places, nice piece

John Keeton
05-28-2012, 2:37 PM
Nice work, Jeremy. I understand the need for the larger foot - and, in this case, it worked out fairly well. Gotta get control of that depth thing, though!

Roger Chandler
05-28-2012, 3:17 PM
Pretty bowl..........a smaller diameter foot will give you a more proportional form.........for this bowl it should be about 2/3 rds what you have on it now. This is quality work Jeremy.........you just need to study form a bit and that depth gauge can be as simple as a pencil and a thumb.........:)

Jim Burr
05-28-2012, 4:50 PM
Good work overall! Even the best still end up with a funnel from time to time. The foot isn't working for me...maybe a groove or bead part way up to break up the line? Nice save on the worm motel!

Pat Scott
05-29-2012, 9:35 AM
Nice curve inside, nice simple rim, I like the looks of it. Ditto on the foot being way too big. Most of what I make are utilitarian bowls, your foot could easily be 2" smaller and it would still work. The foot should be roughly 1/3 of the overall diameter, yours looks to be 2/3 of the overall diameter. Think of it this way - now that you've pushed yourself to make thinner walls, your next personal challenge can be making a smaller foot. The bottom thickness will come with practice. If you go through the bottom, well it's just a piece of wood afterall. Good job Jeremy.

Prashun Patel
05-29-2012, 9:49 AM
I love the inside and the rim and the green fill.

Since yr asking:

I think the foot could be smaller - but more critically, could be thinner. If ultra-thin, then I like the reverse curve you've done. However, anything thicker than a 'hint' of a foot would IMHO benefit from a more abrupt transition, like a bead.

Also, the top of your form is straight. IMHO, there are three types of curves emanating from the base that work very well: curved (tucked) to straight, straight (not tucked) to curved, or curved to curved. Straight to straight doesn't seem to work for me. I find the first 2 most appealing. Since your form flares out to straight, my eye wants the bottom of the bowl to be round. This of course means a reduction in stability, which is why if I were making a utility bowl, I'd opt for a curve on the top and a non-tucked base. I also find a slight curve on the top better for touch.

But all that is just mumbo jumbo points to ponder and disagree with me on. Your bowl is beautiful.

Baxter Smith
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Nice looking wood and a pretty bowl Jeremy! I am always somewhat surprised at how small a foot can be and still remain stable. I am no longer surprised when the bottom gets thinner than planned!:eek::)

Jeremy Leasure
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. The foot started bothering me almost immediately after I finished it up. I guess I could try to jam chuck it and turn a groove or something to break it up as mentioned by someone above. I wonder where the best placement would be? If I do it, right now I'm leaning toward putting it somewhere close to the top of the foot and bottom of the bowl.

Robert Henrickson
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Depending on how green the wood was, it may well have gone out of true by now, so adding grooves might involve more than just that.

Prashun Patel
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Jeremy-
LEAVE IT!!!!
It doesn't have to be "perfect" to be perfect. These are just points to ponder for next time. I have a few bowls like this that I think - or others think - could bear some minor improvement. But now they're reminders of how yr perceptions/technique/preferences change.

I would focus on the things that came out very well (inside shape is flawless, nice fill, beautiful rim, nice finish) here and move on to the next piece.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Great looking bowl Jeremy. I agree with Prashun. Leave it and learn on the next one. If it was green and has moved any your chances of getting it centered to put a bead or groove on the bottom may not come out well. Don't ask how I know this.:mad: Best to move on.