PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Preview Revealed

Kathy Marshall
05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Just finished up the sneak preview project. Thanks to Wally Dickerman for the inspiration!
Although there are areas that could be better, I'm happy with it. I haven't quite mastered the beading tool yet, but I'm much closer than I was. The middle portion went pretty well, but top section was a little tougher. Part of the problem was trying to get the tool rest in a good position without it impeding the tool handle.
I turned a little lid for it, just because. the lid is another piece of mesquite that I dyed brown to get it nice and dark, and then added some dark walnut DO to darken it a little more and even out the color. The lid will be optional and whoever this goes to can use it or not as they prefer.
The form is finished with natural DO and a couple coats of lacquer sanding sealer, and I think I may leave it at that. I kinda like the soft satin look of it. It's 6" tall (without the lid) x 6 1/2" wide. I should have tried for at least one true profile shot. I drilled it out just a little too deep and so I had to stretch the curve at the bottom so it would still have a bottom. I held my breath and crossed my fingers when I beaded the bottom section and luck held out and none of the beads went through the sidewalls.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
05-27-2012, 10:27 PM
That is a BUNCH O' BEADS!! Very neat piece, Kathy.

Baxter Smith
05-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Nice work Kathy! Your beads look good. I was thinking your preview looked like a piece of mesquite. I can relate to the drilling too deep part as I seem to do that way too often!

Sid Matheny
05-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Groovy in more ways than one!!!

Sid

Jeff Fagen
05-27-2012, 11:20 PM
There is a lot going on there both figure and relief.I would like to try that :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Looks great Kathy. Beading is looking good.

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Sweet! It looks especially good in the second pic. I like it without the lid too. That is a lot of beads!

Alan Trout
05-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Kathy,

This is a fantastic piece, I like everything about it.

Alan

John Kent
05-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Great job Kathy!! Nice wood and great form on HF.Looks like you
are getting the feel for those tools really fast. Must be over 50 beads!

Kathy Marshall
05-28-2012, 1:54 AM
Thanks everyone!

Great job Kathy!! Nice wood and great form on HF.Looks like you
are getting the feel for those tools really fast. Must be over 50 beads!
Thanks John! You're right, it is over 50 beads. After seeing your post i got the piece and counted the beads and there are 61!

neil mackay
05-28-2012, 3:06 AM
great looking vessel, the beads really set it off. Hmm kinda prefer it with out the lid, but thats me

Michelle Rich
05-28-2012, 6:53 AM
beautiful wood..a great palette for your beads..& great bold round shape

Dale Bright
05-28-2012, 8:57 AM
Great job on this Kathy! I really like it.

Dale

Nate Davey
05-28-2012, 9:17 AM
Wonderful job, Kathy. The beads really take this to the next level. Great piece of Mesquite.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2012, 9:54 AM
That's really cool! I like how you can see the beads and the grain at the same time - if you know what I mean. There are many times folks embellish their work and the grain gets obscured. This has a very clean look to it! Very nice work!

Jeremy Leasure
05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Very nice. I keep thinking I deserve a set of these, but I keep losing the argument with myself when I try to put a CBN wheel in my cart at the same time.

charlie knighton
05-28-2012, 1:14 PM
very nice, the form is wonderful with the small bottom, the beads are just extra

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-28-2012, 1:57 PM
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet. Kathy, is Mesquite that stable that you can turn a green hollow form with a lid and expect the lid to continue fitting after the wood dries?
Sorry for the question. I don't want it to detract from my praise for a great turning. I love the beads.
faust

Roger Chandler
05-28-2012, 3:21 PM
Nice Kathy! I almost picked up a beading tool this weekend as I went by the Woodcraft Store in Roanoke............put it back on the peg and thought ................I think I might ought to go with D-Way's beading tool instead............

How much learning curve on this kind of tool?

Kathy Marshall
05-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet. Kathy, is Mesquite that stable that you can turn a green hollow form with a lid and expect the lid to continue fitting after the wood dries?
Sorry for the question. I don't want it to detract from my praise for a great turning. I love the beads.
faust
Thanks Faust! Mesquite can be that stable. I've done several endgrain boxes that didn't move, facegrain can move a tiny bit. The lid for this is a loose fit so it won't be affected by very slight movement.

Nice Kathy! I almost picked up a beading tool this weekend as I went by the Woodcraft Store in Roanoke............put it back on the peg and thought ................I think I might ought to go with D-Way's beading tool instead............

How much learning curve on this kind of tool?
Thanks Roger, if you ever decide to get any beading tools, I would definitely go for the D-Way. I have a couple Sorby beading tools and they work ok, but there's a clear difference between the 2. Not much of a learning curve, it's more about training yourself on tool presentation. There are a couple of videos on using them on the D-Way site, really shows how easy they are to use.

Rick Markham
05-29-2012, 11:44 PM
This is a super cool piece Kathy!!! I really like the lid design, it fits well with the form. The beading is just spectacular and really works well with the mesquite.